• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Natassia

New Kit
Today my rabbit angela had to be put to sleep after her recurrent eye problems had got worse (this had been going on for about 3 months). I was having to clean her eyes out every 3 hours and the discharge was glueing them shut, so in a way she was blind. Shes had them flushed out by the vet before and all different types of eye drops, in the end about a month ago the vet said the only thing we could do is bath them all the time and keep them as clean as possible. When we went to the vets this morning because they got really severe over the last week she said that the only thing they can do with rabbits in this condition is to put them to sleep and so we did what we thought was best for her, as it must have been very uncomfortable. The vet was really good about it, she explained her reasons etc. Has this happened to anyone else?
Natassia x

Are thats so sad, you did everything you possibly could for little Angela and my heart goes out to you.Sorry i cant help you on your question but i wanted to just say im thinking about youx

So sorry for your loss.

No it hasn't happened to me, I'm afraid I don't know much about that sort of thing. I hope someone else will be able to offer some help. x

I'm so sorry for your loss. Was she ever xrayed to look for tooth root problems? They can grow upwards and press on the eye sockets. Also, was a culture ever done to determine the type of bacteria? And were oral or injected antibiotics given too?

Binky free, Angela. (That's weird to say, as it's my name too!)

naturestee said:
I'm so sorry for your loss. Was she ever xrayed to look for tooth root problems? They can grow upwards and press on the eye sockets. Also, was a culture ever done to determine the type of bacteria? And were oral or injected antibiotics given too?

Binky free, Angela. (That's weird to say, as it's my name too!)

I agree with Naturestee's comments.
I am very sorry to hear that you have lost your Bunny friend :cry:

Janex

So sorry for your loss.

My Taz has recurring eye problems, only on the one side. We are currently doing an intensive eye cleaning and ointment applying regime to try and clear it up once and for all. The vet has said that his teeth appear to be OK, and he is otherwise very well. If the current regime fails we will be on to trying systemic antibiotics next, with further investigations the next step on the trail if that fails.

When she went to the vets the 1st time she checked inside her mouth thoroughly with a little torch and her teeth were fine, she wasn't in any pain with them because she was still eating and she was happy. They didn't do a culture, and she was on 2 different types of eye drops. When it got really bad the 1st time after she had them flushed out she had a course of 3 antibiotic injections and these seemed to help for a short time. She wasn't too bad for about 4 weeks and them it got worse again about 3 weeks ago, and the vet said that all we could do was clean them all the time, in the end they were having to be cleaned every 3 hours, and then they would glue shut completely so she was effectively blind. The vet said the kindest thing would be to put her to sleep, and she did this with all rabbits in this situation.
Thanks for your replies.
Natassia x

forgot to add, that if your bun hated eye care as much as Taz does, then it must have been a very uncomfortable time, and at least bun is now pain free

Arhhh thats really sad. I am sorry. Isn't myxi, the same symptoms as what poor little Angela had, the eyes get really bad and glue together. Could she of had myxi.

Thank you for the replies, i hope Taz gets better soon, of course not every rabbit will be as bad i don't mean to worry you. I'm sure it wasn't myxi because she was a rescue and so she was vacinated against that. also i think the vet would have said if that was a possibility, and it went on for a long time before it got that bad.
I don't think she was in that much pain but it must have been very uncomfortable, i'm sure i made the right decision with the vet.
Natassia x

:( sorry for the loss of your bunny..

my first house bun had terrible eye probs and ear infections adn dentals once maybe twice a month each month..
in the end the vet said it was all integrated and shes had enough geenral anaesthetics to ruinher kidneys and they put her down..she had her ducts flushed and flushed but they were totally blocked..
oscar to had eye probs and had a few dentals in the 18 months he lived..his ducts were tally blocked..he had runnyeyes al the time..and then theyw ould get nfected..it helped when we had bif..she cleaned them better than we could do on our own....

i had one non lop bunny and he never had dental problems or eye problems or ear infections..all my other buns have been and indeed are lops of somesort..maybe thats another factor..

dont be without a bunny for to long..it actually helps the loss getting busy caring for or even fostering another bun...

Back