• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it normal for mother to ignore babies?

katypoo

New Kit
for those who saw my previous post i am now sure the babies are the black rabbits, Shadows.

problem now is she never seams to pay them any attention. they are in the top part of a hutch with a run underneath. it is right by the kitchen and i have been watching closely but she doesnt seem to go upstairs? babies are alive, i checked, but how long before thay die if they dont get milk???

im very new to this rabbit stuff - sorry.
katy.

Mum will only feed the babies about once a day usually in the middle of the night the rest of the time she will stay away from the nest, it's because rabbits are a pray animal and the less mum visits the babes the less likley it is a preditor will find them, mum wont know that nothing can get her babies

Hi my rabbit had a litter nearly 5 weeks ago, and Phill is completely right mum will only feed babies in middle of the night when no one is around. Try not to worry, im sure mum will do a brilliant job, mine has and the babies are thriving. Before you know it they will be running around with mum.
Sallyx

My free ad buns used to feed the babies at about 6pm every evening, while we were out in the garden :D But it was only once a day & she ignored them the rest of the time unless I was faffing in the hutch. Then she watched me :lol:

In the wild she would leave them all day to feed and forage and then feed them at night. It's so she doesn't attarct predators to them.

As long as they are not crying and their tums appear rounded and full then Mum is doing everything right :D

Back