• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbit not eating 24h lost some weight

rabbitpoop

Young Bun
Hi, imy bunnies Spotty and Marilyn share a hutch and this morning i noticed only half the pellets eaten which always makes me worry. I also noticed yesterday that Spotty had some indents in her coat where it looked like some weight had been lost. Ive seen marilyn munching lots not spotty today so im thinking she may be ill. She is responsive and alert but i just wanted some advice.

Luckily they are going to have their boosters thurs/fri so i'll mention it then so I guess theres not much advice to be given! Im just really worried thats all! Kirsty x

If they're moulting, they can lose their appetite.

However, if they seem to have lost weight too, it could be trouble with their teeth. Are they eating plenty of hay? Are they still going to the loo? Will they eat their favourite foods?

I would certainly mention it to your vet. If they seem to stop eating completely before then, I'd get them there sooner.

hiya,
they can deteriorate quite quickly once they have stopped eating. Their systems may cease to work and that could prove fatal if not spotted. I'm sure people on here can give you more advice but if mine stop eating I syringe feed them with critical care (from vets) or mashed banana and water if I cannot get them to take the former. If this does not work I would pop them to the vets within 24 hours :) good luck with bunny x

I would separate the rabbits, see which one is not eating and syringe feed that one w/ critical care. But it's best to take it to a vet to find out the cause, such as overgrow teeth

I wouldn't seperate them as it might affect their bonding and you could have trouble re introducing them, I was told not to seperate my two even for vet trips etc :?

Back