• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dettol

Vix

Alpha Buck
Can i use dettol disinfectant to clean out my buns dog crate? Ive run out of the pet one and as its sunday nowheres open to get some more.

I dont think so :? I am not CERTAIN but I think any disinfectant that turns white when added to water should not be used for cleaning pet housing.
I may be wrong though. Hopefully some-one else will be along soon and they may know for sure

Janex

Thanks i didnt think id be able to, is there any other general household products i can use? washing up liquid etc?

Vix said:
Thanks i didnt think id be able to, is there any other general household products i can use? washing up liquid etc?

Vinegar, then wash the cage/hutch down with hot water.

Janex

i admit when i had kibbles years ago she was waiting to be spayed..i used dettox..the trigger clear one and thne risned it twice over and dried it and left itto air for an hour she had that most of the time in the end.
ihave used diluted bleach and washing up liquid too..
white vinegar is wonderful stuff but our house reeks like a chippy with it!
i usually use cascade but its for indors cages and bowls etc but you still got to rinse it well.
i have just tried the johnsons keep it clean lavender wow it cleans fast!
but im going to get some virkon tablets to use in a trigger spray bottle will work with having two kitties as well so is perfect.
dettol or savlon or anything that goes cloudy to water is def a no no i agree. but did i do so wrong with the dettol triger spray the no taint clear stuf?

I'm sure I used to use Jeye's brand one to swill out my guinea pig hutches and then I'd let them dry out. The one I used had an animal friendly sticker on it though, you have to be so careful.

My Sainsbury's sells 'Keep It Clean' in their pet section, so a supermarket may be worth a try.

Thanks everyone i used vinegar in the end, the smell was horrible but it worked quite well :) i usually use the keep it clean stuff but im going to get some virkon now that its ran out.

Back