• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Life expectancy for Molly? Any special 'senior care tips'?

montyflossy

Alpha Buck
Hi,

Some of you may have read my last post regarding a neglected frenchie. Well I now have her and we think she is 4-5 years old. How long is a frenchies life expectancy, I understand that this is quite elderly am I correct?

Obviously I want her to have lovely retirement so is there anything specific for an elderly bunny's care? (senior treats, food etc)

Thank you from me and Molly!

Hello

Well done for rescuing Molly :D I believe it is thought that the bigger Buns do have a shorter life expectancy than small Buns. But I also know of someone who's Frenchie lived to just beyond 9 years of age.

I guess you wont know if Molly is spayed :? If not then obviously Uterine problems need to be watched for. If she were to develop any problems with her breathing I would consider asking for a chest X-ray (without GA) as unspayed Does are at a high risk of Uterine Cancer and this can spread to the lungs.I would not automatically assume an infection if an unspayed older Doe developed laboured breathing. Hopefully Molly wont develop any respiratory symptoms though.

Older Buns need their teeth checked, particularly the molars. They can also be prone to arthritis and any problems with mobility, loss of litter training or getting wet from wee needs investigating by your Vet. If arthritis is diagnosed an anti-inflammatory can help keep Bun more comfy. Arthritic Buns often need help keeping themself clean and with grooming. They also need the insides of their ears checked as a Bun with reduced back-end mobility often gets mucky ears.

Diet-wise its best to stick to a good variety of hays and Veg with a portion of Pellet Feed. If you try to bulk a Bun up with too many high carbohydrate or high protein foods you risk upsetting their guts. Some Buns like a small spoonful of Whole Porridge Oats. Introduced gradually and fed occassionally they can help keep weight on an elderly Bun.

Good luck with Molly, I am sure she is very pleased you found her :D

Janex

Hiya!
I believe 4-5 is quite elderly for a frenchie, the larger breds don't seem to live as long as smaller ones :( . Having said that I've heard of frenchies living to be 7 or 8 :shock: so I guess it depends on the individual bunny and level of care and health.
I think with French lops you just have to keep an eye on weather they can clean them selves properly, older frenchies can sometimes find it hard to reach their bottom, so regular bum checks :) also just keep an eye on her joints and see if she can move around ok. I think as long as molly is bright and active then not much more extra care is needed. just look out for all the usual bunny requirments, teeth, eyes, skin, nails eating and pooping :D

Jack's-Jane said:
Hello

Well done for rescuing Molly :D I believe it is thought that the bigger Buns do have a shorter life expectancy than small Buns. But I also know of someone who's Frenchie lived to just beyond 9 years of age.

I guess you wont know if Molly is spayed :? If not then obviously Uterine problems need to be watched for. If she were to develop any problems with her breathing I would consider asking for a chest X-ray (without GA) as unspayed Does are at a high risk of Uterine Cancer and this can spread to the lungs.I would not automatically assume an infection if an unspayed older Doe developed laboured breathing. Hopefully Molly wont develop any respiratory symptoms though.

Older Buns need their teeth checked, particularly the molars. They can also be prone to arthritis and any problems with mobility, loss of litter training or getting wet from wee needs investigating by your Vet. If arthritis is diagnosed an anti-inflammatory can help keep Bun more comfy. Arthritic Buns often need help keeping themself clean and with grooming. They also need the insides of their ears checked as a Bun with reduced back-end mobility often gets mucky ears.

Diet-wise its best to stick to a good variety of hays and Veg with a portion of Pellet Feed. If you try to bulk a Bun up with too many high carbohydrate or high protein foods you risk upsetting their guts. Some Buns like a small spoonful of Whole Porridge Oats. Introduced gradually and fed occassionally they can help keep weight on an elderly Bun.

Good luck with Molly, I am sure she is very pleased you found her :D

Janex

lol, we posted at the same time :lol:
much better advice as always from jane :thumb:

Well done for giving her a good home. I also agree that larger buns have shorter life spans and 5 years is V.good going, I read somewhere that 3 was average for a giant, not too sure about Frenchies though!

Molly must signal longevity as my Molly bun reached approx 12 1/2 years old!
As well as the advice already given, I'd gently introduce her to exercise (as I don't know how much exercise she had before). Mobility is great for keeping buns healthy.. a bit like humans really and my Molly remained active and sprightly.

Good luck :)

Back