• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP QUICK update panic over

DONT just pull it off, you need a tick remover, v cheap from vets or pet shops. Or nip to your vets and get them to do it. Horrid little things!

I found some stuff called Xenex in the garage prescribed for our dogs and it says its safe to use on rabbits. Shall I use it? Ticks are so disgusting.

Xenex is an effective insect repellent. It contains no chemical incesticides, being formulated from highly persistent plant oils. In addition to flies Xenex will also repel fleas, ticks, lice and mites.

Won't do any harm... might not kill it though :?
Get a comb, and slide the comb inbetween the tick and the rabbit's skin - be careful not to pull the tick at all... gently twist the comb around so that the tick twists too... do this in the same direction until the tick comes out. Just be careful not to be too forceful, as the head will be left in!

Ok, I'm going to go for it. I've no idea where the tick came from, cos they've not been in long grass or anything. :?

been loads out this year - it's early for them too! little b*gg*rs!!!
the grass doesn't neccissarily have to be long - it's the moisture level that's most important to them...

I hope I did it right. Maybe I should've left it. I'm worried now. Will phone the vet early. I'm a worrier as you can tell.

I just had another look and I can't see anything other than a lump now, but then again it was a fairly small tick. Thanks for your help CottonMather.

was probably just a larva or a nymph if it was small... at least you don't need to worry about it popping loads of baby ticks out!!! :shock: :lol:

*Shudders* ewww. When we had cats they used to get loads of ticks in the summer and they were huge, this one I'd say was smaller than 5mm, maybe about 3mm. It wasn't there long because it wasn't there when I went to work at 5. I'll speak to the vet tomorrow.

Back