• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice on old rabbits and arthritis please

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
Can anyone tell me about the treatments for arthritis in old rabbits please? ie) would it just be ongoing care like Metacam?

What do you think about the use of Cortaflex HA?

Do old rabbits tend to lose their appetite?

I have mentioned arthritis in your other thread before seeing this!!

Christobel prescribes Metacam as an anti-inflammatory for arthritis. She has also mentioned giving Glucosomine (Veggie variety). As yet noBun of mine has had Glucosomine.

If the arthritic pain is not well controlled that can make a Bun loose their appetite. Also, oral Metacam given over a long period of time can SOMETIMES cause gastric ulceration. So maybe you could speak with the Vet re giving an anti-ulcer med like Zantac (Ranitidine) or Tagamet (Cimetidine)

Janex

thanks Jane, this post is for my boss' rabbit who suffers from arthritis. he is very old and my bosses are away at the moment. He seems off his food a bit so he's got a vet's appointment this afternoon.

He was on metacam originally- a drop a day, but they were concerned about giving that long term so they started him on the cortaflex. I was having my doubts it was working- and thought his loss of appetite may be because of the arthritis pain.

mandy said:
thanks Jane, this post is for my boss' rabbit who suffers from arthritis. he is very old and my bosses are away at the moment. He seems off his food a bit so he's got a vet's appointment this afternoon.

He was on metacam originally- a drop a day, but they were concerned about giving that long term so they started him on the cortaflex. I was having my doubts it was working- and thought his loss of appetite may be because of the arthritis pain.

Hopefully the Vet will give him a thorough check-up, his teeth too .

I was getting a bit confused when you refered to an 'older Rabbit' as I didn't think Audrey was elderly!!

How unlike me to get confused....... :oops: :roll:

Janex

Well it is right to get the teeth checked first and maybe if they are fine give him an appetite stimulant.
If he has arthritis then we use Cartrohpen injections that the vet gives - this really does help with the pain and the stiffness :D

thanks will mention that.

What do you think of the use of the Cortaflex? Can it ever be truly effective?

Well none of my Buns have had Cortaflex but having read a bit about it here

http://www.cortaflex.co.uk/catdogproducts.html

I would certainly consider it but probably not without some anti-inflammatory back-up. My Vet only uses Metacam as an anti -inflam' for Buns as on a recent course she went on she was told that Carprofen (Rimadyl) has now been shown to be unsafe for longterm use in Rabbits as it apparently causes Liver necrosis.

I think I may look into that Cortaflex for MYSELF too...... :?

Janex

Back