• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The new home - & a question regarding straw & a tra

Fayeloicia

Warren Scout
So, I've been modifying the new hutch a little to make it more accesible and slightly waterproof.

S4020970.jpg

This is the new home! I've put the hutch at the front as it's easier to clean the hutch. I suppose thinking about it I could've just put the run lid on the other way round so it opens outwards, not into the hutch!

S4020971.jpg

My first attempt at trying to waterproof the run. I tried just sticking velcro pads to the run and plastic sheeting, but the wind ripped it straight off. Then I tried glueing the plastic to the velcro strips, but that didn't work either.

S4020976.jpg

On this one, I decided to staple the plastic to the velcro. This way, as long as the velcro strips don't come apart, I can keep the rain out, yet because it is velcro I can take it off in the warmer weather. It only get a little sun anyway as it's up against the garage.

S4020972.jpg

Some of the straw from the hutch ends up going through the trapdoor and into the run, it then bunches up in a corner and then the wind picks it up and distributes it through the garden. I'm not sure if the buns are doing this on purpose or not, of even if just the wind is blowing it through the hole - but is there any way of stopping it without putting the lid in the trapdoor? I don't think there will be, just interested to see if anyone else has this problem and if they've tackled it.

There are more photo's of Joey and Leila in the Stories and Photo's section :)

Hi,

Looks like you've done a great job :)

I can't think of a way of stopping the straw from going down the trapdoor - I have exactly the same problem! When the buns run down the ladder they drag all the straw with them :lol:

BobandAbby's mum said:
I can't think of a way of stopping the straw from going down the trapdoor - I have exactly the same problem! When the buns run down the ladder they drag all the straw with them :lol:

Ditto, except Lucky often carries his downstairs :roll: :lol:

Back