• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

please help-i think my black rex ,bam,has a chest problem

mimi75

Alpha Buck
hello every one.just got in from work and went straight upstairs to see bam and lola.i noticed that bams breathing sounded odd,kind of deep.it seems intermitent but it took me back a few weeks when i heard him breathing funnily but he was sleeping so i thought he was snoring.he's booked into the vets at 4.50 but i feel terrified-he's my boy.in every other way he seems fine but i know that does'nt mean he is not ill.he has lots of willow ball and chew toys,i,m just speculating but could he have a bit in his wind pipe or a fur ball?i know no one can really know,i'm just trying to stop thinking of the worst case scenarios :cry:

Hello

Maybe Bam has a Respiratory Tract infection. Your Vet will examin him and listen to his chest. Depending on the findings some antibiotics may be prescribed. Good luck at the Vets and please let us know how Bam gets on

Janex

hi jane.just got back from the vets and he gave him a thorough check over,he said his lungs sounded clear,his temp was good(bam really did not like that bit :shock: )he checked lymph glands e.t.c and he could'nt find anything suspicious that he felt required antibiotics at this stage.he just wants me to keep a close eye on him.he is a house bun so i can keep watch easily.fingers crossed.any ideas?it's hard not to worry tho isn,t it :?

mimi75 said:
hi jane.just got back from the vets and he gave him a thorough check over,he said his lungs sounded clear,his temp was good(bam really did not like that bit :shock: )he checked lymph glands e.t.c and he could'nt find anything suspicious that he felt required antibiotics at this stage.he just wants me to keep a close eye on him.he is a house bun so i can keep watch easily.fingers crossed.any ideas?it's hard not to worry tho isn,t it :?

Its good news that his chest was clear :) Is the room he lives in centrally heated? Some buns dont cope well with the dry atmosphere central heating causes as it dries out their airways. As your vet has thoroughly examined Bam and found no obvious problem then just see how he goes over the next couple of days. If you are still concerned you can always go back to the Vets. Although I suspect Bam will want some assurance that no pesky Vet will stick a thermometer up his bottom again!! :shock:

Janex

hi again jane-thanks i really appreciate your halp.i do have central heating although the room isn't over warm at tho moment as i have just reduced the time it is on for due to an enormous gas bill!!!i will just keep an eye on him.i was just satwith them now and he was grindin his teeth a fair bit which i don't hear him dovery often and lola seems very clingy with him :? still i do worry alot about them,i know you will understand that.i would just like to say that i was reading about your lovely jack and ronan the other day,their story brought me to tears.there have been many times when i have carried on because of the love of my bunnies.

mimi75 said:
hi again jane-thanks i really appreciate your halp.i do have central heating although the room isn't over warm at tho moment as i have just reduced the time it is on for due to an enormous gas bill!!!i will just keep an eye on him.i was just satwith them now and he was grindin his teeth a fair bit which i don't hear him dovery often and lola seems very clingy with him :? still i do worry alot about them,i know you will understand that.i would just like to say that i was reading about your lovely jack and ronan the other day,their story brought me to tears.there have been many times when i have carried on because of the love of my bunnies.

If Bam is still 'not right' tomorrow I'd pop him back to the Vets. Ask the Vet to check Bam's teeth (odd I know but one of my Rexes showed respiratory symptoms when he had molar spurs :shock: :? :? )
Also ask the Vet to have a good feel of Bam's tum. If the stomach (in the upper part of the abdomen) is distended it can cause respiratory symptoms as the distended stomach restricts the lungs ability to expand.
Never feel you cant go back to the Vet just because they found nothing wrong on a previous examination.

Janex

.well bam a lam seems pretty normal today.i am just a terrible worrier but i am not prepared to take chances with my luv-a-buns as they are just too precious.i will keep watching him tho to make sure. :D oh and he had his tutty pegs checked when he had his latest vaxi the other week.thanks again.

Back