• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

water drops

madysmummy

Mama Doe
not sure what they are called but went to visit my friends new bun the other week and they had used some sort of carrot drops to put in the drinking water with added vits etc. their bun was drinking so much in the few hours that i was there, much more than mady does.
my thoughts are fresh water is the best, and maybe this carrot stuff gives a nice favour to the water and thats why bun was drinking like mad.
what are other peoples thoughts :?:

not sure what i feel about salt licks even - mady has never had one and seems fine with out one so have never bothered but some buns d have them :?: :!:

I hate that sort of thing, I think buns have evolved to live on a diet low in nutrients so they don't need anything additional as long as they are eating a good diet.

I must admit when I give my buns echinacea in their water, they do drink more of it so it must taste nice!

In my opinoin buns get enough vitamins and mineral nutrients within propper food, which means lots of good quality hay, branches, herbs and some vegetable. These additives often contain too much vitamins and mineral nutrients.
For example, Rabbits produce vitamin C by themselves (as most animals do). If you feed too much vit C, their own process of producing it will be influenced. Or they will not eat their cecotropes, beause they have consumed already enough vitamins; but cecotropes is not only important for vitamins but also for digestion.
I would not spend money for such things.

My lot have probiotics in their water bowl. It does mean I have to change the water often(3 or 4 times a day) though, else it gets stale.

I don't give mine a salt lick but they do have a vitacraft mineral stone (with seaweed in it). I've always given these to my small furries, they love nibbling them, so it helps to keep their teeth down.

thumpers poo went a bit squidy when we used the vitamins in water so we stopped using it and he is fine - he is fine with his veg and a few pellets we got a salt lick purely for him to have as an extra toy he tries chewing every now and then so it must be ok :)

Mine won't drink anything but pure water - not even echinacea or probiotic. My piggies on the other hand love probiotic!

i have actual got some of the stuff you are talking about :oops: it is in my first aid box and i used it when duchess was ill with stasis (didnt use nearly as much as they reccomended just the teeniest bit in the water bowl) in encouraged her to drink which helped with her recovery (it was also the only way she would willingly drink from a syringe.

FriskyClover said:
I don't give mine a salt lick but they do have a vitacraft mineral stone (with seaweed in it). I've always given these to my small furries, they love nibbling them, so it helps to keep their teeth down.

Mineral stones can cause kidney stone, bladder stone and renal gravel, because they offer too much minerals. If you feed your bunnies herbs and vegetables, it suffices to get them all minerals they need.

Back