• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Red Eyed Bunnies

AliBenMummy

Mama Doe
Hi there,

I've read on a few posts recently that red eyed buns are often overlooked. Is there a reason for this, or is it purely cosmetic?

The reason I ask is that Betty, our new bunny (pick her up on Sat :D ) is a white bun with red eyes, I presume she's albino. I think she's beautiful!

Are there any health issues I need to keep an eye out for?

Many thanks,

Gemma

I guess people just think they are scarey or mean looking :(
Health wise they can sometimes have imparred vision or some sight abnormality, you may notice the rabbit 'scanning', waving head side to side to focus.

I absolutely adore my red eyed white mini lop 'poppy'. She is beautiful with cute pink eyes! When i first got her (and before discovering this site) i did think she was a tad dappy when she sat in her hutch moving her head from side to side. Was so relieved when i found out that this was a common trait of REWs due to their poor eyesight. I dont understand people not liking REW's - they're beautiful and original!

hehe i'm sure betty will be beautiful, the scanning does make them look slightly insane though but its very cute! i always take extra care not to quickly approach the hutch especially in darkness cos i worry she wont see me in time and i'll frighten her cos of her bad eye sight!

our first bun was white with a hint of grey on her nose and ears and she had the most lovely ruby red eyes..not oinky like rews but ruby red..
i have always found rews a bit weird looking so imaging e my face when bertie turned up and was a rew !! and bif kept him! Now i think hes lovely so handsome with his huige white eyelashes and when he opens hi seyes fuly he is adorable..the only downside ive had is his eyes look sore in the corners ieven when theyre not..the pink of the eye seems more pronounced.
i have our sewere rat kiens..sorry but i took on these horrid looking black kitens who were the size of smallr ats..and theyre black with white here nthere..and the most overlooked colour pets are rew bunnys and black cats! The sewr rats and the buns get on very well and when salem goes t bertie for hug..it shows! black paws around bertie suckinghis fur! :lol:

Karen&poppy Im glad you wrote about your red eyed lop, moving her head from side to side because mine does exactly the same thing I thought it was a bit strange at first I didn't know it was to do with their eyesight. I absolutely adore my girl millie, she is beautiful, im not sure why people overlook them.
Sally

One of mine is an albino lop and he's beautiful! I haven't noticed the scanning - his eyes seem fine for now. But he is so cute!!

One benefit of a red eye bunny is that when digital camera photo is taken, you don't need to fix the "red eye effect"
giggleym0.gif

Happy Hopping said:
One benefit of a red eye bunny is that when digital camera photo is taken, you don't need to fix the "red eye effect"
giggleym0.gif

:shock: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: ha ha very good!!

Back