• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

washing bunny

do you mean soiled with poo or just dirty?
Unless it is really matting their fur id be tempted to leave it and see if they will clean themselves or if its a poo then see if it will just pull out. You could use a wet cloth or babywipe but i wouldnt bath your rabbit if you can avoid it

Ha, I just had to do this a couple days ago. I put surgical gloves on and put about4 inches of water (my bunny is small) in a bucket. First I picked off the poo then I had my husband put a little bunny shampoo on my hand dunked bunnies butt only then washed the butt with my left hand then dunked, dunked, dunked, dunked, dunked bunnies but until soap was gone. Not a problem, you don't do it in a way that scares them then just dried off the butt the best I could. Vola, clean bunny butt.
Worked great. If my bunny was big I would have one of us hold while the other washes. Doesn't take but a couple minutes.

Thanx for advice! My bun is BIG! So I guess with some help I can de- poo him! He has quite long fur so I could snip some of it away CAREFULLY!

my gus used to need a bottom bath quite often. he's fairly big.

we used to put a couple of inches of warm water in a washing up bowl on the floor. then gail would hold him firmly in the water (he did struggle) and i would basically remove the poo by gently easing it off

if he was really annoyed she'd hold just his bum in the water

then dry him off well afterwards

if its not too bad a lot can be removed without bathing, perhaps with the help of a baby-wipe

good luck :D

yes pretty much the same method for all of us i gues.but to keep it easier..id invest in animal clippers and keep the fur around the area which gets dirty the most and clip it short and keep it short..bif has her tummy near her bits and her under tail area kept fairly neat n tidy this way and bertioe too but him more for the fact he is so big and his fur gets matted a little even when you brush him.hes not long haired but a frenchie and he has wooly fur i swear as it isnt shiny n sleek just sooo thick!
another thing the clipper can be sued for is the fur ont bottom of their back feet when it gets pooey n hard and you clip it off with scissors but have weird clumps left behind then the clippers keep it trimmed..but dont trim the fur short as it will give them sore hocks etc.
For bif i also use a bowl of warm water with squeaky clean shampoo in it like a bubble bath almost and some squares of old towels..they get used until the towels are clean which means her bums clean and shes notas wet as when i wash her in a bowl....my other way which she likes is to fill the downstairs loo handbasin with the same and let her hold onto the basin where the taps are..she loves water swishing round her bum just like in the paddling pool and she lets me ease the dried poo off without struggling..weird huh? btw i do sanitise my hand basin after honest! :lol:

Any idea why the bottom is soiled? You might be wise to try and resolve why, particularly with flystrike? If its poo, what is making it "loose"? Can you check the diet and what does he eat? If its urine, this will need to be looked into.

There are a few reasons buns get a dirty bottom, as Raine suggests this really needs to be sorted out before the warmer weather gets here along with the flies.

In rescue you can get many rabbits arrive who have this problem. Some will be so overweight and unable to clean themselves up, this can be resolved if you reduce their pellets and keep them mainly on a few pellets and lots of hay or even a hay only diet. Others are fed on a too high protein diet, this problem can be resolved by reducing the protein in their diet by cutting down on the amount of food they are given and or changing their diet over to a low protein pellet such as Science selective, Bunny basics T, A&P or a bunnybasics pelleted food. From experience there are a few rabbits who are fed on excel which are prone to this problem. Hay should make up at least 80% of their diet if not a high percentage.

If it is urine that is causing the matting a vet needs to check your bun out.

Good luck

Back