• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help!!!!

Hannah24

New Kit
Hi
I asked for advise last week about my stroppy lion head, I have followed all advise given, but she is getting worse. It started to get worse last week and now she is virtually impossible to handle with really vicious biting and kicking, its a real shame as my Dutch has settled in absolutely fine...any other advice would be much appreciated!!! :cry:

Have you had her checked out at the vets?

This is how my Blue is at the moment and is undergoing tests at the vets today :(

I think unless you find out if she has been spayed or not (and if not then get her spayed) the answers you're going to get to this thread will be the same as you got on your first one.

I second the fact that you need to find out whether she's spayed, and if she is, then look into it further. If she's not, SPAY HER and that should solve your problems.

Aww, I'm sorry, I know it's really upsetting when despite all your gentle care and handling a bun still doesn't want to to know :(

I agree with the others that finding out if she's been spayed is your best course of action. If you take her along to your vet and explain the situation they will able to advise you - I imagine the first thing they will do is check her for a scar to see if she's been spayed, but that's not failproof. Otherwise they will probably advise you to go ahead with a spay (assuming she's fit and healthy otherwise) and if she's intact when they look under GA they can go ahead with the op.

TBH, given her background (as you explained on the other thread :() I think it's unlikely that she's been spayed and that's would be the most obvious answer to what's causing her grumpy moods. Hormonal does can be utter monsters :oops:

Otherwise, you vet can also check things such as her teeth, sight and hearing. Rabbits with sight or hearing problems can be very defensive too :(

I hope you get it sorted soon - good luck and nose rubs to your buns :D xx

just read the original thread - definitely not a lionhead problem - otherwise i wouldn't have so many of them!!

Aggression can be pain related - so I'd get her teeth/back checked. If it's hormonal - she needs spaying - vet can do a scan to see if she's already spayed without opening her up - if she's NOT spayed - tumours etc can result in aggression. It can be territory related - is she aggressive in same place all the time? I have a bun who prefers not to be touched when in her litter tray, but is fine elsewhere. Or it can be fear related - if there's loud noises or a young child prodding her - it could affect her for several hours afterwards.

It sounds like she is hormonal and very scared. Do you need to handle her? A lot of rabbits don't like being handled and the more you do it the more frightened she will get.
My first rabbit Hobbes is like this. He was very scared and nervous when i got him home and hated being picked up. I would end up covered in scratches if i picked him up. I decided that it was too stressful for him to be handled and stopped trying to hold him.
He is much more friendly now and will run over to me when he sees me. He is trained to go back in his hutch when i put food in there so i don't need to pick him up. The only time i handle him is when i take him to the vets. I quickly pick him up and put him into the carrier although you can train them to go in for food on their own. He is much happier now as he doesn't think i'm going to grab him when he sees me.
My advice would be have her spayed and do not pick her up. Most rabbits hate being lifted off the ground. She may then become less aggressive. It sounds like she had a traumatic start in life and doesn't trust humans at all.

I have finally found out that she has not been spayed, and am going to the vets today to discuss this.
I have had to separate the bunnies in the run this morning as they were only in there for 5 minutes and lots of fighting was going on with her winning and my smaller dutch with a lot less fur on her back, I assume this sudden agression towards her pal is all to do with hormones???

Back