• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dry shampoos / grooming powder.

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
I have seen these in P&H and on Bunny Basics but never know what to make of them.

There is nothing wrong with their fur but i often think a little spritz of conditioner would make them b-e-a-utiful.

I dont know, is it cruel? can they taste it when they wash? anyone use it? or do you just think if theres not a problem dont try and fix it?

be interested to know what people think.

Thanks

I had a bun arrive with a foam wash which stuink to high heaven. They had used it on him prior to dropping him off and the whole room quickly smelt of antiscptic. Nasty.

I have used an apple powder before but it was only good for masking odour, not cleaning. All in all they are pretty pointless.

Rabbits are naturally clean animals and do not require washing, they are usually good at maintaining their own personal hygeine. The only area I would ever wash a rabbit is it's bottom was caked in poo, even then I would not soak it. My own personal view is that these are not necessary.

yeah i've seen some of these products. i though mady does a great job of keeping clean and theres no reason to buy anything to help her.

I use Assisi grooming lotion on mine once a week, although I only use it to keep fleas away Im not sure I would use anything at all if we didnt have cats with fleas coming into the garden all the time

so no-one would use the conditioner unless really needed?

I just fancy grooming them up- making them sparkle- but i always worry about the chemicals and the smalls- surely its denying them off their Identity (scent wise)

I've never used them, and never will. If the rabbit gets messy, you can do a dry bath with cornstarch or a butt bath if necessary. I think I'd get bitten for trying to spray stinky stuff into my rabbits' fur though.

This is the stuff I use

http://www.bunnymail.co.uk/cgi-bin/show.cgi?p=3;c=128;s=511

But like I said if we didnt have the problem we do with fleas I wouldnt use anything on them at all. Rabbits keep themselves pretty clean. I hav had to use baby wipes to clean Beau's legs and feet before and clean up Scarletts bum because her fur is so long but I wouldnt use any of the shampoos and conditioners you can get in pet shops :D

If you are using a 'smelly' substance which alters the natural smell of a rabbit, there is a chance that your rabbits may have problems with their 'bond' which each other. Rabbits know whom they are bonded to by the smell of their partner, sometimes people who take rabbits to the vets for treatment smell differently when they arrive home and the rabbits relationship with the other rabbit is affected.

By using products like these on buns particuarly in the spring time when hormones can be a little high, there is a potential for relationship problems between buns if bunnies smells are altered.

Hi Jemma

Personally, like most others, I wouldn't use these unless you really thought it necessary. I'd go with what you said yourself - "If there's not a problem, don't try and fix it". It's fairer on the buns I think. :) x

thanks guys, think i will give it a miss then. There seems to be so many of these products about I assumed they must be successful but the bad side outweighs the good.

thanks

I agree that grooming lotions can change the smell of buns and lead to relationship problems. However, I think that the Assisi one is excellent because it's (really nice)smell fades quickly, it deters mite etc and I have used it for years with various small furries. I also think if you spray them at the same time, any potential problems are pretty much prevented.

Incidentally, when I had an incident with a wild rabbit circling the run and upsetting the bond of my two, the grooming lotion helped re-establish their bond because they smelt the same.

I guess it is just personal choice, we're all individuals in the way we care for our bunnies.

Back