• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Two boys?

Hello there - it's been a while since I posted as I have a new job where I'm not allowed to use the internet during work hours ... totally unreasonable!

My ten-year-old female bunny Hope died this week, so little Manny is all alone :( . He seems okay and is eating well, but rather subdued. I definitely want to get him a new friend and was planning on getting a neutered female, but went to our local rescue today and stupidly fell in love with a beautiful boy bunny (an all black rex cross ... he licked my face, how could I resist?!) who's been waiting for a home for ages.

If I get the new bunny neutered, is there a reasonable chance they might grow to like eachother? Manny is very docile and sweet. I just don't want to risk getting a bunny that won't get on with him because he's rather shy, and really needs a lively friend to bring him out of his shell.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Annabel x

NO DON'T PUT THEM TOGETHER.You will end up with one hell of a fight on your hands.You really need a doe to put with him.Can't you re home one of each?

Bucks can get on just aswell as a buck and doe as i've been told so many times as long as there all neuterd it's there personalitys that count. I'll be bonding 3 does and bucks i'll be a nervous wreck :shock:

in the 10 years + of rabbit fostering,and owning i have never come across a pair of boys who do not fight like crazy.Sorry just giving my experience.

ive seen a pair of unneutered boys living together (both adults) happily, but they had the nperfect personality match. dont see why two males couldnt be bonded if the personalities were matched. i know its supposed to be easier to pair a doe and buck but that doesnt mean 2 bucks cant be happy together.

Denny has got 2 males living together - Marcel de bun ( named 'cos he's a huge Frenchie) and Eddie bun - a dwarf lop. They get on great.... Eddie has a right meal if Marcel has a bit of gunk in his eye :roll: :lol:

You need to check if the rescue does a dating service. If so, ask if you could take your bun along to bond them on neutral territory. If it goes OK you need to de personalise your current bunnies home. It can be done, Denny's 2 males are not the only male buns co-habiting :D

I agree, bonded boys can be a wonderful relationship, it all boils down to personality. We've had Daisy (mis-named boy but the name stuck :roll: ) and Smokey, both neutered...

smodai2.jpg

and now we have HB and Thumper, HB intact and Thumper neutered...

DSCF2651.jpg

Bobby and Ralf, both neutered ...

2006_0610bobbyandralph0036.jpg

Ebony Eyes also has heaps of bonded boys, it all depends on the buns themselves, so it's worth a try.

Oh thanks everyone ... but now I'm in a quandry :roll: !

The rescue doesn't do any bonding, but that big old black bunny there has stolen my heart! Manny is very sweet, quiet and gentle (some might say lazy!) and the bun at the shelter looked kind of lively and a bit ummmm loopy! He started lolloping about in his hutch when we went back for a second look at him today, and throwing straw around with his mouth. Are opposites a good partnership or does it work better if both personalities are similar?

Hope was always boss with Manny, and he followed her everywhere. She hated him at first, but after a LOT of perseverence they became inseperable.

Hmmmm. In theory I do have room for more than two bunnies, but as our house and garden are quite small and we both work full time, it's difficult giving un-bonded bunnies all the space and time they deserve.

Also, my boyfriend would think I've finally cracked if I end up with three new bunnies :lol: !

Thanks again ... more opinions very welcome!
Annabel x

Hi I have four boys and two girls that all live together happily. They have all come in at different times and with a lot of patience, perserverance and courage I have managed to bond them all. What has really helped has been moving the "furniture" around in their shed and run each time I have put a new bun in. Plus I always bond a new one to an existing one first, one that I think they will pair well with. Then I put them both in at the same time, and I do this at teatime, which I usually leave a couple of hours to make sure they are all hungry :lol: The food helps to distract them to anything new. Also rubbing the new bun with some used litter can help to make it smell familair, and I also carry the two buns together so they smell of each other. But all 4 of my boys are also neutuered and have been done for at least 6 weeks before introducing them. This allows all hormones a chance to calm down! It can be done, you have to expect the odd chase, fur pull and be slightly strong about not separating them if they tug a bit of fur. My group of 6 adore each other now!

Dscn1070.jpg

The chinchilla is the only doe in this bunny bundle! the other 3 are bucks, the 4th buck was too busy eating :lol: and the other doe was indoors being treated for an abscess. But you can see how happy they all are.

Could you not take the bun home, see how they get on, and explain to the rescue that you may need to bring him back and swap him for a doe? Am sure they would be willing to let you try! good luck, x Jess

Back