• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What is this: *pic*

Cookie&Twix

Alpha Buck
Argh!!! Biscuit has only been feeling better for just over a week and now he is losing his fur on his shoulder, where he has a bald patch about the size of a 10p.

IMG_8516.jpg

He is eating fine, pooing, weeing, drinking and is cheeky as ever, but you know rabbits, fine one minute, deaths door the next. What do you think this could be? Over enthusiastic grooming from Twix? Mites? Vet is closed until 1pm

Has he had any injections/vaccinations in the last week or so? If so its just a minor local reaction and as long as its not bothering him and is nice and dry just leave it alone The fur will grow back :)

Janex

He had his VHD jab on 7th Feb and then on Sat 17th he had a HUGE steriod injection as he had a spinal injury. Now that am watching him more closely, he is constantly grooming that area, I am trying to distract him, but it is not as easy as distracting kids!

If it is mites, what is the best course of treatment? Is it a vet job or is there something I can pick up to try

Yep vets will give him an injection and he'll have to go back the following two weeks for two more.

Cookie&Twix said:
He had his VHD jab on 7th Feb and then on Sat 17th he had a HUGE steriod injection as he had a spinal injury. Now that am watching him more closely, he is constantly grooming that area, I am trying to distract him, but it is not as easy as distracting kids!

If it is mites, what is the best course of treatment? Is it a vet job or is there something I can pick up to try

Is there any white scurf on his skin? Not convinced its mites myself and am still putting my money on the 'needle reaction' theory!!
Mites are usually treated with a course on Ivermectin injections but its a drug you dont want to be using on a Bun that doesn't have mites.

Janex

Most importantly....is it contagious?? Do I need to keep a close eye on Twix? This little guy is costing me a fortune!! That is the last time I take on a rescue bun that I know nothing about. I suppose I have been very lucky with Twix, but she was a bunny from a nice home, Biscuit was a rescue from a breeder who was going to cull him.

If he's been near another bunny they will both need to be treated, mite course of jabs isn't expensive so don't worry :D

Just managed to corner him and get a better look withough stressing him too much. I can't see any white scurff on his skin, although the bald patch is right back to the skin and look a little red/inflammed but not wet. Would you be able to see the mites or are they too small? Guess it would take a vet to tell me either way if it was a vax reaction or mites, so need to make an appt regardless and take them both.

Sending vibes, as Jane says it might not be mites, but it kind of looks like mites to me. When Holly had mites she was sore from scratching it, but you can't see mites.

Thanks everyone! I have just called the vets and will take them both in (they will hate me for it and won't speak to me until bedtime....when they get fed!) at 2.20pm. I will let you know how we get on.

Well I have to say it looks identical to the mark dave had following his VHD jab. Maybe because they are both white buns it looks even more familar to me.

The vet said nothing to worry about and it will heal itself.

But better to take your bun to the vets just to make sure :) .

Good Luck!

Tracey x

Thanks so much Tracey!! That is obviously what I am hoping for as Biscuit has been through enough recently. In the last 8 weeks he has been rescued, deplummed, mixy & VHD jabbed, suffered a spinal injury (which we thought could have been EC or floppy bunny syndrome :shock: ) and now this. How long after a jab would you possibly see a reaction? He had his VHD 3 weeks ago tomorrow.

well daves reaction came up the next day or so and lasted for about 2-3 weeks.

Wish i had taken a photo so you could see how identical they look but best to get it checked out :)

Tracey x

Back