• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help anyone! Poppy's at the Vets....

minilops

Alpha Buck
Poppy hasn't been eating her hay for a few days now and I felt there was something wrong. Today, she didn't eat many of her pellets either and just sat huddled in the corner. I took her to the Vets and they said they thought they could feel a slight swelling around her lower jaw and it may be an abscess. I was wondering about her teeth, although they obviously couldn't get a proper look with a GA. (She's always had a really good diet with loads of hay and dried grass and SS, but I assume it can be heredity?) We're really worried now and my daughter is really upset at leaving Poppy at the Vets. They are going to look at her tomorrow morning. (The estimate is £170!!!) :( Any advice anyone, especially Jane please? Has anyone had similar experiences? Thanks!

Sorry I have no advive :oops: but sending you and your daughter lots of hugs, and special vibes to Poppy :love: :love: :love:

Poor Poppy :cry:

The lump your Vet could feel might be an infected tooth root which will need debriding and then a course of antibiotics. Poppy may also require any molar spurs burred down whilst she is under GA. I would also consider asking for a skull x-ray as this will give the Vet an idea of the state of Poppy's tooth roots and thereby the Vet can give you a better idea as to the longterm prognosis.

IF the lump is an abscess then hopefully it is still confined to soft tissue. Unfortunately jaw abscesses can spread into the bone which is obviously not good news.
Getting a swab from the abscess cavity would enable your Vet to prescribe the best antibiotic to treat the specific bacteria involved. Jaw/tooth root abscesses need aggressive treatment from the outset as they are real blighters :x :cry:

It sounds as though Poppy has had a good diet and if you have had her since she was a baby then the likelihood is that any Dental problems are genetic. Is she a Dwarf Lop/Mini Lop ?

Hopefully your Vet will get Poppy better :)

Janex

Thanks Jane! Yes, Poppy is a mini lop. She's 15 months old and we've had her since she was 10 weeks. She's had an good diet since we've had her of SS, loads of hay, readigrass, etc, with veg, so I can't see how it can be diet-related. I've just noticed the past few days that she hasn't been at all interested in hay and today she didn't eat as many SS as usual. This is why I took her to the Vets tonight to discuss teeth. The vet looked in her mouth as best she could with an oroscope and did say that her back molars looked slightly "jagged". Her front teeth, although worn down, were also slightly unevenly worn, ie, slightly diagonally worn. I have to say I'm worried sick, as is my daughter. The vet thought she could feel a slight swelling around her lower jaw, but said she thought it was further back. I just hope it's not in her bone! She will have a GA in the morning (we had to leave her at the Vets) and they will investigate teeth and look at possible abscess. (£170!!) Have you any idea what the prognosis would be, ie, if it is an abscess. I hope we've caught it early, as Poppy seemed fine a few days ago. Many thanks Jane - your advice is really appreciated. (Any anyone else!)

minilops said:
Thanks Jane! Yes, Poppy is a mini lop. She's 15 months old and we've had her since she was 10 weeks. She's had an good diet since we've had her of SS, loads of hay, readigrass, etc, with veg, so I can't see how it can be diet-related. I've just noticed the past few days that she hasn't been at all interested in hay and today she didn't eat as many SS as usual. This is why I took her to the Vets tonight to discuss teeth. The vet looked in her mouth as best she could with an oroscope and did say that her back molars looked slightly "jagged". Her front teeth, although worn down, were also slightly unevenly worn, ie, slightly diagonally worn. I have to say I'm worried sick, as is my daughter. The vet thought she could feel a slight swelling around her lower jaw, but said she thought it was further back. I just hope it's not in her bone! She will have a GA in the morning (we had to leave her at the Vets) and they will investigate teeth and look at possible abscess. (£170!!) Have you any idea what the prognosis would be, ie, if it is an abscess. I hope we've caught it early, as Poppy seemed fine a few days ago. Many thanks Jane - your advice is really appreciated. (Any anyone else!)

The sooner a jaw abscess is treated the better and as I have said the treatment needs to be specific and aggressive. Just throwing Baytril at it may not be enough which is why I suggested a swab, the pus AND from the abscess capsule wall, for MC+S to get the best antibiotic for the specific Bacteria identified.

It is so difficult to give a prognosis with jaw abscesses. If bone is involved then the outlook is not good but lets hope that IF Poppy has an abscess it is still confined to soft tissue.

Sending vibes for Poppy's op tomorrow :)

Janex

Have got to phone the Vets at 2pm to see how Poppy is. I have to say I'm in a real state..... just hoping she's OK and that her problem is not too serious. I just hope it's not an abscess and if it is, I'm praying it's not in the bone. How do people cope when they're waiting for news??

minilops said:
Have got to phone the Vets at 2pm to see how Poppy is. I have to say I'm in a real state..... just hoping she's OK and that her problem is not too serious. I just hope it's not an abscess and if it is, I'm praying it's not in the bone. How do people cope when they're waiting for news??

I don't :( When Harley was in overnight I had to go to work the next day and give a presentation. It was the worse presentation I've ever given :(

I have everything crossed for your little Poppy - sending vibes xxx

Aww I know the waiting is endless, big hugs coming your way :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

I had to wait all night for news of Benji, its an awfull time, I didnt eat or sleep :cry: then when it was time to phone I was dredding doing it

Vibes for Poppy!!

It's awful waiting for news. When Grace was in I had a driving lesson and they called me in the middle of it, I was so upset my instructor had to drive me home.

Fingers crossed for good news,

Nicola

I've just rung the Vets. Poppy did have an abscess, but not to do with her teeth. (She just had a little dental). The abscess was further back than her teeth and towards the side of the her mouth. The vet said it may have been caused by a sharp piece of hay of foreign body. It's not in the bone and is just in the soft tissue. The vet is keeping her in tonight and she will have Baytril and pain killer. I asked about the prognosis and the Vet said it is something she thinks she can control and hopefully it won't come back, although she did say it was possible. I'm happy it wasn't in the bone, what do you think about her prognosis? Apparently I will have to clean the wound when I get her home. Any advice anyone (especially Rabbit Expert Jane!!) Thanks! Claire x

Aw glad all went well, and you get Poppy home tomorrow, sending get well vibes to Poppy and hugs to you,

sorry I have no experience with cleaning wounds :oops: I cant even get Benji to have his science recovery :oops: :oops: :oops:

Hi everyone! I just spoke to the Vet again and asked about penicillin injections for Poppy's abscess. She said she will have baytril as penicillin is dangerous for a rabbit. I'm a bit confused now, as I've read that penicillin injections are a treatment for abscesses, or is this just for bone or dental abscesses? I hope the Baytril will be adequate for Poppy's soft tissue abscess. I'm sure the vet knows what they are doing?? :?

minilops said:
Hi everyone! I just spoke to the Vet again and asked about penicillin injections for Poppy's abscess. She said she will have baytril as penicillin is dangerous for a rabbit. I'm a bit confused now, as I've read that penicillin injections are a treatment for abscesses, or is this just for bone or dental abscesses? I hope the Baytril will be adequate for Poppy's soft tissue abscess. I'm sure the vet knows what they are doing?? :?

ORAL Penicillin is dangerous for Rabbits but it CAN be given by injection. However, it is not licensed for use in Rabbits so Vets have to use what is known as the 'cascade system'-ie prescribing the licensed drug first (Baytril). In clinical practice a Rabbit savvy Vet may well go straight in with Penicillin Injections after giving the client a full explanation about licensing/risks etc

As to flushing the abscess, this needs to be done at least 3 times a day. I have only ever used sterile saline for flushing a facial abscess but I have heard of some people being told by their Vet to use Hydrogen Peroxide.
Before you take Poppy home I would ask your Vet to show you how to flush the abscess cavity and also ask about Poppy having some pain relief prescribed.
As the infection is not tooth root related and is confined to soft tissue the prognosis is better :) Hopefully your Vet will have been able to remove all the infected tissue and therefore minimising the risk of it returning

I am glad Poppy came through the op' well :)

Janex

Thank you, Jane, you are very kind. I'm very pleased that Poppy's abscess wasn't due to her teeth and in her bone. The vet said it may have been due to a sharp piece of hay or something piercing her cheek. Yes, I'll ask the Vet to show me exactly how to look after the wound. Your advice is really appreciated, thank you! :)

Back