• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Strange question?

Aimee84

Warren Scout
Hiya this is a strange question but has anyone ever heard of a bird of prey catching a domestic rabbit? I've recently moved to Reading and Red Kites seem to be a very common sight. I used to let Oscar out to run round the garden mostly under supervision, the odd time i'd nip inside. But i'm worries that one can just swoop down and Neither me or Oscar would have a chance?

Has anyone had experience of this or heard any stories about this? I'm worried, I haven't been letting him out just incase have to just let him in the run or the house for exercise.

Thanks sorry for the odd question. x

Yes, birds or prey can catch domestic buns :( This is part of their nature and don't differentiate between wild and domestic :(
The safest thing to do is either be in the garden with bun/s at all times or have them in a large run that is completely covered so that birds cannot get them.
Magpies are also a nuisance with buns as they go for their eyes :(
I would love to have a garden completely covered by mesh from above to stop them getting in :(

My parents live in Reading (Woodley) and last year I went to stay with them for about 3 months so I had to take the rabbits with me. I was also worried about the red kites, they're massive aren't they! I was worried for my cat, but kept the rabbits in an enclosed run so they were safe.

I'm sure you'll be fine. I haven't heard of any of my friends or family in Reading losing their pets to the red kites.

Yes they most certainly do, i live in Nottingham with no fields around me at all, it is a well build up area, my garden is very small & as trees on all sides, & nearly every day we have a sparrow hark come into the garden, he usually has a bird with him, but he as nearly had a rabbit up the road from me.
So please be very careful as they are so fast you wouldn't know until it was to later that they was attacking.
I have a huge run & it as a box on the end of it plus a box on the side, then you know the rabbit is save.
Good luck

I've seem a fair few Red Kites since moving here in August but today they were swooping so low over the gardens I got very worried, no more run of the garden even for a second without me there then.

Thanks again x

We have a pair of kites that fly over my house, I will admit to being in love witht hem, but that doesn;t mean I want my buns to feed them! I was more worried when I had guineas as all my buns are giants lol, but that doesn't mean they couldn't cause a nasty injury. All my runs have heavy lids and they're never left in the garden unsupervised.

holder said:
Yes they most certainly do, i live in Nottingham with no fields around me at all, it is a well build up area, my garden is very small & as trees on all sides, & nearly every day we have a sparrow hark come into the garden, he usually has a bird with him, but he as nearly had a rabbit up the road from me.
So please be very careful as they are so fast you wouldn't know until it was to later that they was attacking.
I have a huge run & it as a box on the end of it plus a box on the side, then you know the rabbit is save.
Good luck

My mum and dad live in Aspley, Notts and a Sparrow Hawk regularly takes small birds from the bird table to eat. My parents have filmed it a couple of times. They never let their two buns in the garden unsupervised. I think my mums buns are too big for the bird to take but I'm sure that it if had the chance it might try. Best to be safe than sorry as the saying goes :D

Suzanne said:
holder said:
Good luck

My mum and dad live in Aspley, Notts and a Sparrow Hawk regularly takes small birds from the bird table to eat. My parents have filmed it a couple of times. They never let their two buns in the garden unsupervised. I think my mums buns are too big for the bird to take but I'm sure that it if had the chance it might try. Best to be safe than sorry as the saying goes :D
a sparrowhawk would never take a rabbit, it physically couldnt, they dont even take birds bigger than a blackbird. same with a kestrel. a red kite however is rather likely to take a rabbit, as would a buzzard if they're in your area. best to keep the rabbits in a covered run. then the birds wont even attempt it.

Thanks for all your replies I definately won't ever let them out unsupervised all the runs are covered so they'll be ok.

Thanks again x

Hiya, It is very unlikely that a Red Kite would go for a bunny, as they are predominantly scavengers...
Although they are huge, and have the physical potential to take a rabbit, they don't tend to go for large prey - and actually eat a lot of worms!!! :lol:
I'm not saying it's safe to leave your bunnies out - just that Red Kites aren't the usual suspects - it's the buzzards that you've got to watch!
Red Kites were persecuted by farmers, who thought they were killing sheep, however, it turned out that the sheep were already dead and the Kites were just scavenging :evil: , :arrow: they got a bad name :(

Back