• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

To bond or not to bond, that is the question.

ness

Young Bun
Hi
I need your advice please. Since my rabbit Sarah died a couple of weeks ago I have thrown myself into searching for a another partner for Rupert. I have been in contact with local rescues and trawled the classifieds for an unwanted lady bun that could live out her days in bunny love with Rupert :love:
But today I went to the local pet shop to see if they had any adverts, I got talking to the assistant and she suggested that Rupert may be too old to bond with another rabbit, it would be unfair on him and the other bun. She reckoned he would be happier to live out his days on his own as long as we spent time with him.
Rupert is 7 (neutered agouti nethie in pic) he was given to me last year and I bonded him with Sarah (both unwanted oldies). But he is very territorial and I think he and Sarah got on because she was so laid back.
My problem is I am now doubting whether I should get another rabbit. I really don't know what to do for the best for him.
Anyhelp gratefully received as I am very confused.
Ness x

No bun is too old for love :wink: Rupert could have quite a number of years by himself, I am sure that there is always someone out their for every bun.

No he's not to old to bond.. Find him an old girl there are so many in the rescues that would love to come & live with you.

Yes, if you go to a rescue then they will probably be able to help with the bonding. Plis they will already know the temperament/history of the rabbits they have and so will able to help you pick out somebunny that will hopefully be a good match :D

Age isn't important, particularly if a bun has been bonded previously. Small bunnies have longer life expectancies so he maybe only just past middle aged!

Tam

I have been pestering the local rescues already, but they don't have anything suitable at the moment. I have been approved by the RSPCA and am checking their website everyday for updates.
I'm glad that people think I should go ahead with finding a partner for Rupert, he could have a good few years in him yet. I have also got a lovely big hutch in preparation, which I have even put the hay and water in. :oops:
Thanks again
Ness
(if anyone knows of a small lady bun in need of a loving home in Devon let me know!)

I'm sure there is somebun out there for Rupert, thanks for all the replies of encouragement. I have seen lots that look and sound suitable but they are all too far away. I am definitely after an older bun, I don't think Rupert would be impressed with a young upstart :lol:
Jacqui_uk if you hear of anybun suitable let me know,
many thanks
Ness

I definitely got an email from angie, I welcome any response from the bunny mad crew! It just shows you care. :)
I love firefly :love: , she looks just the ticket but she is very far away. I'm sure there must be similar cases down this neck of the woods.
Thanks again for all your help
Ness x

Back