• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sad news.......

rachael1969

Warren Scout
I havent posted on Rainbow Bridge yet as i really need some advice :( I picked Saffy up from the vets last night and the poor thing was a state. I worried about her all the way home willing her to be fine, and she perked up as soon as she knew she was home, bless her :D

I moved Pru into another room as instructed by the vets, and put Saffy to bed. I then went to check on Izzy and Penny and found that my beautiful Izzy had gone to the bridge :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

I just can't believe it, i'm still in shock. The vets checked her over and said it wasnt anything to do with the bonding fight on Sunday, its just possible she had a weak heart :( :( And poor Penny was just sat in the cage looking at her mum.

I put Penny in with Pru, and after a bit of playful chasing they cuddled up to one another and pretty much bonded straightaway - as i knew they would.

I left Saffy on her own last night, to come round a little and set my alarm for 5 this morning to let her have some contact with Penny and Pru. As soon as she saw Pru she binkyed round her, it was so sweet to see :love: :love: :love: :love: but as soon as penny came on the scene saffy went mad! she just chased her and then had a sniff, and then began to chase pru! There wasnt any fighting but i split them up again so have left pru & penny together today, and saffy on her own - just so she can rest her wounds!

What would you suggest i do in terms of bonding the 3 now? is it the right thing to do? I am contemplating on doing the car ride tonight in a hope that they all calm down and some bond is formed. I dont want to lose the bond between pru & saffy, but they seemed fine last night so i'm not too worried about that.

Sorry for the long post, i'm at a loss at the moment and feel so guilty :( :(

How awful, I'm so so sorry for you. Don't be guilty as the vet said it was probably something underlying that would have happened anyway.

I've never bonded before so don't have any advice but I'd be inclined to let Saffy recover from her injuries and not be in too much of a hurry to bond them.

Really sorry again :(

Kathryn x

Thanks Kathryn,

I thought i might try bonding them, say an hour a night, until saffy is better, and then let them all into the same room.

I'm so sorry about Izzy - binky free little girl.x
As others have said I think it's wise to allow Saffy time to heal before you bond her with a new bun, don't try and rush them. The chasing and sniffing is normal, even amongst already bonded pairs as the heirarchy is upset, you need to be brave and just let them get on with it. The fact that there was no scrapping is really positive! I try and use the car ride as a last resort as they really don't like it but I know other people use it as part of their normal bonding session so it's really up to you as you know your buns best. Personally I don't think the introducing and spliting idea is a good one but again others have used it and it's worked, I tend to go for the all in once and for all approach. Again, you know your buns best. I think your three are going to be fine, just give them time.x

I am so sorry to hear this. As has been said just wait till the injuries have healed and try again. Thinking of you xx

chloaster said:
I'm so sorry about Izzy - binky free little girl.x
As others have said I think it's wise to allow Saffy time to heal before you bond her with a new bun, don't try and rush them. The chasing and sniffing is normal, even amongst already bonded pairs as the heirarchy is upset, you need to be brave and just let them get on with it. The fact that there was no scrapping is really positive! I try and use the car ride as a last resort as they really don't like it but I know other people use it as part of their normal bonding session so it's really up to you as you know your buns best. Personally I don't think the introducing and spliting idea is a good one but again others have used it and it's worked, I tend to go for the all in once and for all approach. Again, you know your buns best. I think your three are going to be fine, just give them time.x

Thank you so much :) I cant say i'm that keen on the car ride, but i feel terrible Saffy has no-one to cuddle up to at the moment, and i know she misses Pru. When i left her this morning she was cuddled up by the door where pru is, and kept putting her paw on the door. It broke my heart to leave her :( :( :(

I'm so sorry! :( What an awful shock.
I would leave them as they are for a few days for everything to settle down and to make sure Saffy is 100% Giving her a teddy is a good idea.

Phill said:
Oh i am sorry about Izzy XX

Are all three girls spayed??

Hi there Phill, yes all three are spayed. pru & saffy were done last year and penny was a couple of weeks ago along with Izzy.

Great idea as well about a teddy. I have a soft toy bunny i could let her have

hmmmmm Saffy sounds like Oakley! Oaks will accept any male bun but not females. Would you consider getting saffy her own male friend?

Phill said:
hmmmmm Saffy sounds like Oakley! Oaks will accept any male bun but not females. Would you consider getting saffy her own male friend?

Defintely, if she didnt take to penny at all i would look at getting her a rescue bun friend.

Its just really sad as she and pru are so close, and she's missing her like mad.

Thank you for all your kind replies

Back