• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Going back outside

fluffiebunnie

Warren Veteran
Pickle has been indoors since his neutering on Thursday. I am not allowed to put him back outside till his stitches are removed at least. That is on Monday 6th November.

After being indoors for about two weeks will it be a shock to his system to be put back outside then? Am worried he will have got used to the warm indoors so will freeze when he is back outside.

It is not that cold yet, I reckon he'll be fine with plenty of hay and straw to snuggle up in if he wants to.

BTW, I've not heard otf having the stiches out before? Neither of my boys had to, is there different kinds of operation then?

Some vets just use glue with no stitches, some vets use dissolvable stitches, some use ones that need taking out (in fact I think dissolvable ones are usually taken out after 10 days or so too). It just seems to be veterinary preference. My vets do it on purpose to make sure they see the animal again to check that everything is ok :lol:

I'd just try and make sure that pickle is in a cool room and as it gets nearer the time for him to go back outdoors, try and have a window open to help him to adjust again to the temperature change. There is a risk after 2 weeks in central heating that he will start to moult towards the indoor temperature, so I'd definitely try and minimise that risk by keeping him somewhere a bit cooler for now.

Thanks for the replies. Will try to keep him cool whilst indoors! Will need to turn the heating down a bit as I do like it hot!!

I didnt ask why the vets didnt use dissolvable stitches, but they did have a bit of worry with one of the incisions so maybe that is why? He has one check up already as they were not happy about it (which is why he is not allowed to go outside).

Back