• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A Question about PHENOLS in pine and dangers to rabbits?!?!?

oscarbunny

Warren Veteran
Hello,

I have a question about pine and cedar wood and the usage of such products in my bunnies cage. I used to use sawdust shavings (pine), the rubbish ones from pets at home etc. I switched to megazorb which is loads better. However i recently built a shelf in the bunnies cage using mdf and pine i think and now i am worried that this is going to harm him. The ramp is the only part made from pine well im not sure if it is pine but i dare say it will be. So is this harmful to the bunny or not?

Also, i used to use cat litter wood pellets for the litter trays and i think they could also be made from pine. I bought them from pets at home for cats, are these harmful?

I don't know about the rest of it, but check the bag for the cat litter. It should say that the pellets are "kiln dried." This removes most of the phenols and makes them safe.

I use a similar product. It's the same thing but packaged for use in horse stalls. It's much cheaper that way. :D

I've got a feeling buns can't chew pine for a reason.....I don't know why, I'm gonna look it up for you :?

Well Pine is a softwood and since there is a problem with using in litter trays and stuff *I* would have thought its not good for them to be able to chew it :?

http://www.trifl.org/cedar.shtml

^ That details respiratory toxicity in Cedar and Pine Wood

http://www.ratfanclub.org/litters.html

^ Although its about rats, it highlights some valid points about the acids in the Hydrocarbons (Phenols) given off by Pine, damaging the resp tract

http://www.afrma.org/rminfo2a.htm

^Another one which mention Resp diseases.

I'm sure theres someone else who can better advise :wink:

Hope that helps

I read an article on the House Rabbit Society about a link between pine shavings and liver disease. It's not an offical study, but it does obviously raise questions of the safety of using shavings at all.

Personally I don't use shavings at all, only because its messy and gets kicked about.

Nicola

im more concerned about the pine ramp....!!!! i can remove the pellets. does anyone know about pine wood from diy stores.?

thanks again for all your help
joanne

anyone at all got any info on the dnagers of using pine wood from a diy store like focus in my bunnies cage?

Back