• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Allergic reaction to drop on treatment...

norrielian

Mama Doe
Hi
Anyone elses bun have a reaction to some drop on treatment. I noticed Dillon had some bugs in his fur so dug out some drop on treatment which was prescribed to him previously by the vets, but his skin appears inflamed and very pink this morning where the drops went (between the shoulder blades). All the bugs have disappeared though so it has worked. I'm going to see how it looks tonight and it if hasn't gone down I'll get him to the vets. He seems fine in himself and doesn't flinch when I touch his skin. Pippa was fine with the treatment but I guess with Dillon being partly white he has more sensitive skin??

Lian

Yes, my Teddy had a nasty red, sore reaction to Xenex Spot On. I wouldn't use it again on him. He lost his fur in the area and it took a while to grow back. As soon as I saw the redness I tried to wash it off, but it was too late. Claire x

my dutch had a similar recation to the Xenex spot on. it looked like he had been badly burnt and a big patch of fur came out..took ages to grow back. he had no reaction to the bob martin spot on though and none of the others have shown similar reactions to either treatment.

Thanks everyone. Horrid stuff! Dillon looks a lot better today but like someone said, it looks a bit like a burn left on his skin!

SOAD said:
Spot on, from vets or pershop?

From the vets! Have just changed vets so the new place are checking over Dillon's note and making a note of the stuff he was prescribed before so that it is never prescribed again. Can't remember the name but will check tonight when I get home.

one of my vets tried to prescribe xenex for all my 4 but because it was so expensive i refused it and asked for ivermec,dudley was treated with it tho because the vet had already treated him before he told me how much it cost.duds didn't seem to have any adverse reactions but ivermec was much more effective.after reading these posts,i am definately going to refuse xenex in future.

it did the same to poor oscar the year we got him and the fur didnt grow back..but luckily the fur over and around it did.
i see beaphar have ivermectin drops you can buy for bunnies..anyone used these?
im not even trying for bertie..jo ivermected him for me..and laughed at how many packs of spot on it would take up for a french lop!

beaphar are a darn sight cheaper than the xenex stuff too!

Back