• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxi vac in ear

nicole

Mama Doe
Why do they do this?
When Dougal and Mhairi went for theirs the vet injected into there scruff not ear. Should they put it in a vein in their ear?

I *think* its meant to be something like 10% into the base of the ear and 80% in the scruff :?

10% in the skin and the rest under. The ears an easy way to get it into the skin :) Usually they do part there and part in the scruff :)

Tamsin said:
10% in the skin and the rest under. The ears an easy way to get it into the skin :) Usually they do part there and part in the scruff :)

Yep, unless the INTRADERMAL bit is done the Vaccine is not effective. It used to be thought that just pulling the needle back in the scruff to do the intradermal bit was enough. But Frances Harcourt-Brown did some research which revealed that doing it this way did not give full coverage and advised that the intradermal bit be done at the base of the ears.

Janex

cherylwares said:
My old vet always used to do the scruff and the ear, but my new one actually did it in the side. Is that effective?

All I know from the FHB research is that injecting the intradermal in the scruff is ineffective and she recommends the base of the ears for the intradermal bit. I dont know if she tried other injection sites in her research and found that the ear base gave the best tissue coverage :?

Janex

The reason they put a bit just under the skin at the base of the ear is because of the way Myxi is transmitted- through the skin. By putting a thin layer of vaccine (and thus "teaching" the cells at the top layer of the skin what myxi is), the second any of the disease is injected into the animal by the carrying host, the skin recognises it and fights it off.

Did that make sense? Probably not, I'm not very good at explaining.

Back