• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Giving Panacur

Apache

Mama Doe
Any advice on how to do this easily?

I've got to give 6mls daily, I was wondering about mixing it with a small amout of apple / banana baby food? And seeing if Alfred will eat it that way?

Jx

Yes - that is what it says, although he is only a mini lop?

There are different strengths, this I think is the 2.5% soln

Jx

Even at the 2.5% solution that still sounds way too much, the dose for the 10% solution for rabbits is 0.2ml/kg so because 10% is 4 times as concentrated as the 2.5%, then that would still only make 0.8ml/kg, if you follow my maths? A minilop is probably only around 1.5kg so I'd expect the dose of the 2.5% solution to be around 1.2ml.

Where does it say that is how much you should use??

I would DEFINITELY make sure you're using the right amount before giving it, that sounds very wrong to me.

I gave Zion panacur yesterday. I made a hole in the centre of a strawberry and he ate it out of my hand. I only had to give Zion 0.5mls for pin worms and he is 2.2kg according to the vet.

Check with your vet about the amount to give before you administer the panacur.

Shiv

Crikey, 6 mls should dose a horse not a Babbit!!.. :shock: :shock:

The dose is 20mg/kg.......(Ref Notes on Rabbit Internal Medicine, Saunders and Rees Davies and The Texbook of Rabbit Medicine, Harcourt-Brown)

Janex

I've checked and it def says 6mls..

The horse dosage (having given that) is 5mls of the 10% soln per 65kg, so 45mls per day for a 600kg horse (much more than Alfred's dose!), and working backwards from that one, that would be 0.6mls for a 2kg bun. Which is pretty much what you guys have said.

I've done a search and found who the manufacturer is, and will ring them in the morning to check the dosage with them.

Big thank you though for raising this, I will get this checked out before giving him any tomorrow..

Jx

The dosage for a horse will more than likely be different for a rabbit though - different species absorb the drugs in different ways and so need different dose rates, you can't use one species to work out what it should be for another.

As Jane said, the normal dose rate for panacur in rabbits is 20mg/kg which at 10% solution equates to 0.2ml/kg, so 0.8ml/kg at a 2.5% solution.

Hope you get to the bottom of it tomorrow - will be interesting if the manufacturers tell you anything, as panacur isn't licensed for use in rabbits so they might not be able to tell you. Please do let us know!

Well Ive had a chat with intervet, they said the normal dosage for a routine treatment is 0.5 - 1ml, but it can be given at higher levels if the vet suspects a problem.

I've rung the vets and they've double checked, and it should definately be 6mls, as they do suspect he has parasites.

Jx

As your Vet done a blood test ?as i would have thought so for the dosage they have given as if they are saying parasites it sounds to me they are suspecting EC, I may be completely wrong and someone on here will be able shed some more light.
Give Alfred a great big Snuggle from me and tell him I can't wait to see him and Matilda againxx

We had a bit of a discussion about dosage the other day - 0.2ml/Kg for 10% so as Alison said 0.8ml/Kg for 2.5% - I ended up ringing my vet to double check and he confirmed as above for rabbits.

The dosage is the same for suspected Ec as for worms just a longer course - 28 days for EC, only 5 days for worms.

When I was giving it to Violet (before her blood test results came back) I used to squirt it onto dried bread/bunny toast and leave it to soak in, once semi-dry the buns ate it up no problems!

Caz

TBH there is no way I would administer that much Panacur to a Bunny even if a VET told me to....

I assume it IS the 10% Panacur you have?

It is not a drug without side-effects and at the dose you have been told to give I'd be, well, worried :shock:

But if it is a lower strength Panacur (I dont know what other strengths it comes in) maybe thats why you have been told to give so much.. :?

Janex

I've rung the vets and they've double checked, and it should definately be 6mls, as they do suspect he has parasites.
I'm going to stick my neck out and say that am genuinely really worried about this. I know I'm not a vet but judging by what I know of the normal doses, which indeed I have used with one of my own rabbits, and everyone else seems to be agreeing, I don't see how there is absolutely any way you should be giving a bun 6mls of panacur at 2.5% solution.

Can you double check with the vet exactly what the strength solution is, how many mg of medicine there is in a ml of medicine, and what the dosage rate is - something sounds very wrong here and I would hate for your bun to end up being poisoned by something that is meant to be helping him. Maybe they are just using a really really weak solution but please be absolutely certain before administering :? I'm sure the Bristol rabbit clinic could help confirm doses with your vet if necessary.

OK here's the datasheet straight from the manufacturers:

http://www.intervet.co.uk/products_public/panacur_2_5__liquid/090_product_datasheet.asp

This says that puppies should be given 4ml per kg bodyweight - which would work out at about 6ml for 1.5kg (about the size of a minilop).

HOWEVER - this is using the dose calculator for PUPPIES and the dose rate for rabbits is VERY different. As Jane said earlier - much research has been done and it is well documented, including in rabbit books such as the one she referenced, that 20mg/kg, which is commonly used by vets all over the country, is the right dose. Using the information from that datasheet...

2.5% solution contains 25mg active ingredient per 1ml.

According to the rabbit text book referenced by Jane (among other sources), the dose for a rabbit is 20mg/kg.

1ml contains 25mg

1kg of rabbit needs 20mg

So 20/25 = 0.8

So each kilogram of rabbit needs 0.8ml of 2.5% solution, which means for a minilop of (say) 1.5kg (obviously accurate weight is needed for exactly the right dose), I think you should be looking at around 1.2ml daily dose.

My approx 2kg rabbits were prescribed 1.25 mls of the 10% variety everyday for 28 days. This would be 5mls of 2.5% so that dose is not quite as huge as some posts have implied, however it is a bit high for a mini-lop. Is this for a one off or for the 28days?

All three of my rabbits have been fine at this (roughly .6mls 10%per kg) dose - 3 times what others have said. However if this was too high it would be good as it would make routine dosing of rescues more feasible.

I think it would be worth asking your vets to order in the 10% for you so you don't have to give so much if it is for 28days as the rabbits do not like it very much :?

Thanks, it is the 2.5ml soln that I've got so the dosage would tie in with what Louise said above.

Intervet and my vet have both said it is fine to give at this dose, if there is a specific problem.

At 10:30 last night filled both the water dishes - approx 800mls, by 8:30am both dishes where empty, I refilled them both, and just rechecked and approx 600mls have been drunk since 8:30.

There is obviously something wrong with Alfred :cry: :cry: , and I just want him to be well again as soon as possible.

I soaked some pellets earlier, put in a small amount of baby food, and mixed in the panacur, and he ate it all fine.

Sadly he leapt from my arms when I was putting him back in the hutch and has broken off one of his nails, I've put some flour on to try and stop the bleeding..

Just wonder what will be next...........

Back