• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Skin Question

Diddeen

Wise Old Thumper
Ok i have two questions. Firstly theres Fifi's ear... she has had a scab appear on and off on her ear.. not really sure what it is.. i havent noticed her scratching alot or anything.. do u think she could have just scratched it with her tiny claws or one of the others have had a nibble? or does it look like it could be mites or something? I cant see anything anywhere else and managed to get a photo. The scab appears to be inside and outside of her ear
Ear.jpg

My second question is Nala.. have noticed the last couple of days that when she bends over to eat her poops the back of her neck is bald :shock: I groomed her yesterday to have a good look and theres no red or dry patches at all.. just a bald area of skin :shock: She is moulting quite a bit at the moment but would she moult to baldness??? Any ideas? I'll try and get a photo

Could they be pulling each others hair out? Some rabbits are very enthusiastic groomers and may bite the hair instead of grooming. As for the scratch, it just looks like she may have caught it, if it's clean it's nothing to worry about.

Sounds like mites to me. Moonshine had the same thing with a bald patch on the back of her neck, and the vet said it was a type of mite. He also looked in her ears and said there is a type of mite that gets in their ears. Her ears were fine, but he gave us a box of tiny pipettes of liquid to put on the back of her neck every month for 3 months. She's due her second dose next week, and her fur is already growing back on that area.

Hope this helps

Nicola

Audrey's ears looked like that, but she also bald patches on her backs. She had a injection of ivomec.

Back