• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dobbin poorly??

Dobbin

Mama Doe
Please help me Dobbin is sneezing quite a lot and i dont know why!!

He has always done the odd sneeze since i had him but tonight he is doing quite a lot please help.

He appears to be eating and pooing fine - in fact i think he would eat a ton of stuff if i let him have it!!

Sue
xx

All I can say is that Clio sometimes has random sneezing fits (usually around certain hays). So it's probably nothing... but I'm sure if it's any different someone with more experience will come along soon to help :D

bi have a lot of taster bags from the hay experts - Dobs seems to like different hays. It does not appear to make much difference but i hope your right.

Thank you for replying - i hope i am just worrying over nothing!! :oops:

Sue
xx

It might be the dust from his hay which is making him sneezy, one of my buns Millie sneezes alot unless I shake out her bedding so it doesn't have any dust in it.

Just keep a check on his nostrils for any white/yellow dischage. Also check the inside of his front feet to see if they are wet/sticky (Buns wipe there nose on there front feet). If Dobbin is just doing 'dry' sneezes I woud try to eliminte as much dust from his environment as possible. The more fresh air he gets the better. If he is a House Rabbit try not to use any room sprays/carpet freshners/spray polishes.

Janex

there does not appear to be any discharge.

he has straw and dust extracted wood shavings in his bed. different hay's to eat!!

do u think he is ok??

thank u to everyone

sue
xx

As long as he does not have any nasal discharge/sticky eyes/raspy, laboured breathing I suspect he just has a dust allergy.
Just try and minimise the dust in his environment and maximise his access to fresh air

Janex

I'd only had George for a couple of weeks, and one day for some reason he started sneezing a lot, it went on all day on and off, and I was really worried. I phoned the breeder I had got him from, and she told me to check the same things that Jane has mentioned.

He had no discharge or anything, so she said that sometimes they can get a small grass seed or some irritation from the hay and they will sneeze it out. Anyway, he sneezed a bit the next day, and then was completely fine and has not had another sneezing fit since, so I don't know what that was.

I hope it will be the same for Dobbin and he will be back to normal tomorrow.

Dobbin said:
there does not appear to be any discharge.

he has straw and dust extracted wood shavings in his bed. different hay's to eat!!

do u think he is ok??

thank u to everyone

sue
xx

Switch off the wood shavings for a few weeks and see what happens. I used to have wood shavings, but I have concern that their lungs is breathing the dust powder in their lungs.

Back