• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Green nose!

HS

Wise Old Thumper
I took Salt to the vet a couple of weeks ago, as he was dribbling, and had a green nose. He was given a course of Baytril, which he took like a brave soldier, and it seemed to have cleared up. However, the past 4/5 days his nose has been green again. He's not dribbling this time though, and is behaving normally, still eating well.
I'm popping him back to the vet tomorrow morning, is there anything I should be asking? Is it worth asking them to do a culture and sensitivity test?
Also, both him and Pepper are due their myxo jabs (have them done every 6 months here). Is it ok to have this done if Salt is not 100%?

Thanks

Not too sure about his green nose, But I very much doubt the vet will give Salt his myxo if he isnt too well. I know my vet didn't. Hope he's Ok Xx

I would advise asking Vet to try to determine cause of recurrent problem.
According to FHB the bacteria responsible for causing a green colouring is P. AERUGINOSA which should be sensitive to BAYTRIL and SEPTRIN.
Another course of antibiotics will probably resolve the symptoms but I would still want to try to establish the cause.
I doubt it would be advisible to have the Myxo Vacc done as for it to be effective a good immune response is needed. This may not happen if Bun is a bit poorly.

Janex

Thanks Jane and Becki. They're a worry aren't they, these bunnies! Fortunately the vet is only 5 minutes down the road, so it's not too traumatic for them.
I googled the term Jane, but did not find out much more. Must buy the FHB book.

It's the 'textbook of rabbit medicine' by Frances Harcourt-Brown (hence the FHB!) It's written for vets so it's quite technical, and it's £65 but it's very interesting even though a fair proportion is double dutch to me :lol: :lol:

rabbits511.jpg

:wink: :wink:

Janex

bakc from the vet - have another course of Baytril to give him. She checked out his teeth and chest as well, and said he's fine other than the green nose, so hopefully the Baytril will clear it up.
Pepper had a little health check too, and he's perfect!

Back