• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Older Doe question

rabswood

Wise Old Thumper
I know of an 8 year old doe, not spade ex breeders bunny I believe, appears to be in good health. What are everyones feelings re pairing her with an older neutered male as she is prob too old to be spade?

Rabswood

I got a 7 year old breeding doe from a rescue before Christmas to bond with Teddy (an 8 year old neutered male). They bonded in about 10 minutes and they are now inseperable). We took her to the vets to be spayed and they had to remove basically everything and do some reconstructive surgery. I picked her up the next day and she seemed as though she had never been operated on!

Don't underestimate an older bunny. We are so glad we went ahead with the operation as she is so much happier since she has been bonded and spayed!

I would have thought it would be fine- I know its always best to spay, but some people have a neutered buck and un-neutered doe living together all their lives.

I have a neutered bun & an un-spayed bun living together. They are fine. She's just reaching spaying age now (she's about 5 months), so will be done in the next month. But I'd say there's less humping in that bonded pair than in any of my others.

I have a neutered male living with an entire female and they have done so for the last 7 years without problem at all! So it can work with the right male.

Personally, unless there is an urgent/valid reason to spay such an old doe I would be hesitant.

Vera

Hi there :D

Hope, my 9-year-old un-neutered female is now living happily with Manny, my neutered 2-year-old male. It did take them a long time to bond fully - and I think this was mainly due to Hope's stroppy hormonal territorial tendencies - however they are now inseperable and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I personally wouldn't risk neutering an 8-year-old female unless absolutely necessary. How about trying to bond them and see how they do?

Anna x

Thanks for advice everyone.

I don't actually have the bun, she is still with the family that I got my free ad lops from. The poor girl has always lived alone I thought it would be nice to let her spend her last few years with a partner.

I might see if I can presuade the family to let me have her later in the year. As I'm going to be sending update phots of the lops thought it might let them see what a lovely home she could have.

If they let me have her would play safe and try her with an older neutered male.

Rabswood

Back