• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do rescues use for cleaning hutches?

Nicola3

Mama Doe
Hi fwiends,

Just wondering what the rescues/multiple bunny mummys use for washing/cleaning hutches and bunny play areas.

I have lots of hutches to keep clean and wanted to buy something that's going to last me a while.

Any advice gratefully received.

Love and hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Hi Nicola

I use VIRKON. Its pink fine granules that you mix with water
A 50g Sachet makes 5 litres disinfectant when mixed with warm water.
Once mixed it should be used within 7 days or if the pink colour fades
I buy mine from the Farm that supplies my hay etc.

It is effective against E Coli 0157, Salmonella and Campylobacter
I have been told it is also effective against Pasteurella and VHD.
I have no proof of those last two though

Janex

Thank you!!!

Think I'll be looking into the virkon..sounds good.

Was using the small squirty bottles of rabbit disenfectant but costs a small fortune.

Are there any other big bottles of cleaning products you can use? I expect you can buy products from the vets for a price...

Love and hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

I use virkon too - it seems expensive but a little really does go a long way so I don't think it is expensive in the long run.

Hi I use virkon for general cleaning..it's very good and has multiple uses ...for removing scale from litter trays/cages I use vinegar

Hi

I'm suprised to read that Virkon is used for cleaning hutches-coming from leisure centre background i seem to remember that we use it in dilute form for cleaning shower heads!
for the 3 hutches that i have i use vinegar and sometimes the spray disinfectants that i get at my local pet shop!

Back