• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Last minute probs

JoF

Young Bun
Only days away from bringing home our bunnies, & my OH is having second thoughts. He's feeling that this will be a major disruption & a huge commitment (BTW we have been married for 6 years - I'm thinking I definitely shouldn't mention babies then).

He will come round, I'm not worried about that - this is my home too. But he's thinking that he wants to restrict the bunnies in the daytime to a gravel area. Won't this be hard on their feet? Not to mention very difficult for me to clean? Should I just put my foot down?

Don't worry, my o/h was like this about Salt and Pepper, and they won him over in, ooh must have been 20 seconds!
Bunnies are a large commitment, but they bring so much joy to a house. And you're right - it is your house too.
WHat are the housing options? I wouldn't go for gravel, I don't think. Like you say, it's hard to clean.

Gravel should be okay on their feet unless they're a particularly thin furred breed like rex. You'd be better replacing the gravel with paving though as it's easier to clean. Also, gravel often doesn't have anything solid underneath so you have to watch for digging ;)

My partner wasn't overly keen but he adores Dobbin, we wasn't even home and he was worrying about him!!

I was the same - em maybe time for a baby! But he has brought so much happiness and love to this house!! He is adored by all who meet him.

sue
xx

I'm sure he will love them, he's a soft touch really. Besides, we met them today & I already love them, so tough!

I hadn't thought about the digging myself. I'd better check what's under there. But the woman at the rehome seemed to think that it's OK to let the buns have free reign anyway. Will this be OK or should I worry about cats? Do I need to lock them in their hutch at night?

So many considerations for a mum-to-be! :roll:

I certainly wouldn't leave mine out in the day or at night, only in an enclosed run with a cover (you can get f old away ones that won't take up any room when not in use) during the day, and shut them away in a hutch at night. I cover mine with a tarpaulin at night as well, held down with bricks (making sure have ventilation tho) as foxes, cats, dogs and birds of prey are all threats - shut in a garden your bunnies would be like sitting ducks.

When I got my bunnies my bf said they weren't getting in the house, no way, they were outdoor bunnies, (several times!), and who was the first to have them in the house...... :lol: ! Came through to find him sat at the PC with Harly in his arms! Now he enjoys their wee visits, here's the proof -

Thebunnies003.jpg

:D :lol: :D :lol:

SO I wouldn't worry about your partner I'm sure he'll come round.

my boyfriend was exactly the same about my guinea pigs. he was like, its a huuge thing and it will cost a fortune etc. now he's snuggling them every 5 mins! he foned me the other day because he's at his mums for a couple of weeks, he said "miss you hun, but tell the guineas i miss them lots and lots and ill snuggle them soon" i was like, well thats me out of the picture then!!!!

im sure he'll adore the bunnies. i would worry about gravel, suppose it really depends on the sort of gravel, but i wouldnt thing thats al that nice to hop on. my rabbits were let out all day when weather permits, in a 12m x 3 m fenced patio. there was no chance af any cats other than mine, which wont touch the pets, and the dogs are always out with the rabbit so nothing is going to get to it. if it wasnt for our other pets i would worry about leaving it unattended without a very secure run and top.

My bf always huffs when I get a new animal and then he'll be sneaking out and feeding it dandelions etc, he's a sucker for a pretty face lol. He loves the Guineas, he's always sat talking to them.

My boyfriend was unsure when i got my first rabbit he then bought me a second persuaded me to keep the only baby and then agreed to get another bunny. At present I have 4 + 6 babies lol he loves then as much as me :lol:

Rabbits i've had in the past didn't mind the gravel but i'm sure my present rabbits would dig in it.

JoF said:
Only days away from bringing home our bunnies, & my OH is having second thoughts. He's feeling that this will be a major disruption & a huge commitment (BTW we have been married for 6 years - I'm thinking I definitely shouldn't mention babies then).

The word "Huge Commitment" is far from the truth. The cost of pet food is so cheap, I bet you the recycle can fee in one year can offset that. Other than that, just buy some rubber hose to protect the cables in the house, it's a one time fee that cost me $30. But in the end, now that I move my computer on the desk, my total cost should have been $3 at the most.

Things like rabbit tunnel you can make it yourself. Other than that, just the clay water pot and pellet pot for about $10 each. And all these is a one time purchase, you don't need to buy it again.

I would have to disagree and say I think it IS a huge commitment. Cost wise it can be expensive with vets fees, housing, food, hay etc etc and you have to be prepared to spend a fair amount of time each day excercising, cleaning out and generally looking after rabbits as well as making arrangements for their care every time you will be away for more than a day. That's not to say I don't think they're worth it . . :wink:

It's not just the financial cost of food, toys and bunny-proofing that makes it a commitment HH :shock: Some people are very lucky and rarely have to visit the vets, board their buns etc, but many are not so lucky and all these things cost. Like Spacegirl said, there's also the time commitment to think about - you can't just get a bun and stick it in a cage in the garden to forget about it :shock:

I agree - rabbits are a big commitment, especially time wise. I only have two, and cleaning their cage and run, feeding them, supervising runs in the garden and giving them some much needed attention are all things I feel I need to do EVERY DAY!!! Thats quite a lot of time when you have a full time job as well, plus a life to lead !!! - I can't imagine how I'd manage if I had kids!!! (although I'm sure plenty of people do!)
Money wise I'm not finding it too expensive yet, touch wood, but to be fair the only trips to vets so far have been for vaccnations and neutering - hope it stays that way!! Hay, food and toys are cheap enough, and once thr hutch has been purchased you shouldn't need to worry about that. Unless you wanna upgrade like I do!

They are definately a huge commitment, the basic outlay is usually a one off cost, things like hutches, bowls, bottle ect unless you have a bun that like to throw bowls around

I must be one of the luckier ones that has a large number of buns and only ever go to/need the vet for vaccinations and neutering :?

There are always ongoing costs which are a big commitment, vaccinations, food, bedding ect not to mention unexpected vets bills :roll:

Back to the question, Personally I wouldn't keep them on gravel but thats my choice, its entirely up to you

My boyfriend got me Alfie for my birthday last year, (he also got a very small hutch for him which I soon got rid off – he didn’t know any different)
Anyway, I had Alfie in the house a lot as he was a single bunny and very sociable, it caused SO many arguments. I spent so much time with Alfie in and outside of the house, any bit of hay my boyfriend found he went mental.

Anyway after months of arguing he told me to give Alfie to my mum, I spent the whole night devastated crying my eyes out, I felt like my heart had broken.

Anyway, I said that if I could get Alfie a girlfriend I would never have them in the house again as they would have each other.

He agreed, I then got a big hutch which he wasn’t impressed with at all (I am living in his flat btw), anyway as soon as I got Holly he really chilled out and actually goes outside to say hello to them and likes watching them running around.

I also have them in a couple of times a week when he is out and I tell him that there is nothing he can do about it!

They are a big commitment, I spend a lot of time with my two but they are soo enjoyable to have I couldn’t change it for the world.

Back