• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pet Friendly Slug Pellets

loopylop

Wise Old Thumper
As Rudy and Sophie now spend time in the garden, I was wondering if the pet friendly slug pellets are safe for them? I'm sure they wouldn't attempt to eat them, but I was wondering about them walking (hopping) on them and then say, cleaning their paws? :? :?

I didn't think about it as I put the pellets down :roll: but those snails keep attacking my garden :evil:

Do you think that it's still safe enough for the buns to play out? :?

Slug pellets also kill natuaral wild life, they're bad news. There is a natural way to deter them on the veg soc site. I will have a look hang on :D

here is a bit, I copied and pasted it, but I have seen more than this maybe it's not their webbi :?

Slugs are a nuisance but most commercial slug killers contain the very poisonous metaldehyde. This kills off beneficial soil animals as well as slugs, is dangerous to pets, hedgehogs etc and the poisoned bodies of the slugs may get eaten by birds who are poisoned in turn. If you don't want to kill slugs, you can protect susceptible plants with a physical barrier like soot, sharp gravel or sand (slugs don't like irritants on their delicate undersurfaces!). If you are lucky, this sometimes works. Or you can trap slugs alive by putting out half orange skins, or sinking pots into the soil with some bait inside, then physically take them away from your garden. Gardening Which, in one of its trials, found that the beer trap, so beloved of organic gardeners, actually killed more beneficial creatures than slugs! So they advised you to drink all your beer and cut 4 inch deep rings from the plastic bottles to make slug barriers for individual plants.

These need to be buried at least 1 cm deep in the soil, but proved very effective at keeping slugs out until the plants have grown enough to be able to withstand a little slug damage. By the way, it is the little grey and white slugs that damage plants, the big black and brown ones are useful scavengers

It does work Laura, the natural way. I sink tin cans with beer :shock: in around the borders (need emptying quite often as they can get quite whiffy :oops: ) and crushed eggshells as well in the soil.

Hmm... maybe I will have to pass on the natural way to my o/h... :oops: I'm not very good with garden creatures :oops: :oops:

I have already put the pellets out today :( So I will have to try the natural way next, so u think the buns will be ok with them? :?

Slug pellets are EVIL :evil:

Please do not use them! They harm hedgehogs and wild birds.

Use a slug trap, filled with beer or water.

Upturned grapefruit.

Copper bands (for pots) or copper rings aroung your plants.

Try and see where their slime marks are and wash them away.
Slugs learn where they have been by their slime, so even putting them in nextdoors graden will not help, they will find your garden again.

Hope this helps.

I know someone who used a pot filled with beer yes it kills slugs but also frogs and toads that deciede to go in :(

You dont have to fill it full, just enough to kill the slugs.

I have so many conversations with numb nut customers that want to kill every living thing that comes into their garden.

"Do you have something to stop the squirrels coming into my garden apart from a shotgun"

This makes me fisson mad as hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They want to kill the squirrels, foxs, herrons, magpies, crows and rabbits.
I want to slap them.
Sorry I went off there.

Back