• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help - Willows hocks have started bleeding.

Rex Rabbity

Warren Scout
Willows hocks have slowly got worse and are now bleeding. I know the problem is the slabs that the run is on. Today I moved the run onto the grass until I can find a permanent solution. How can I treat her or do I just leave them to heal on their own? I have had Willow for 4 months now and she was previously on a grass run when she was at the rescue. My other rabbit Flopsy does have worn patches on his hocks, but the skin has never broken and they don’t look too bad. Maybe he has tougher skin. He has also been on the slabs much longer than Willow (nearly a year). I had to put the run on slabs because Flopsy used to dig like a mole. He has already started digging again now within minutes of the run being moved onto grass and the lawn is a mess! It was quite a job digging up the lawn and putting down the slabs in the first place, not to mention the expense. As you can see in the photos, the run joins onto the shed via a tunnel and lockable cat flap, so the rabs can use the run when they like. Because the run has moved, I now have manually move the rabbits into the run. Willow does NOT like being picked up either! I don’t want to re-turf the run as Flopsy will rip it all up. What can I do?

b6496344.jpg

hock2.jpg

garden.jpg

e3879819.jpg

I have one Rex and she is on a grass run but i have put chicken wire on the base to they can't dig up the lawn but it's soft enough for her feet to cope with. Other than that i can't help sorry XXX

Both of your rabbits have sore hocks, a condition provoked by thin fur pads on their feet, or something that has hurt them in their runs. I'm not sure what you're talking about when you say "runs..." all of my rabbits live seperately in cages. But you must be sure that they have a solid, CLEAN floor available at all times. Soiled floors with droppings all over the place can make it worse. To help the rabbit's feet, go to a pharmacy store and buy some neosporin cream and put it on their feet. They will heal if all goes well.

--Kiya--

Oh, I see the runs, now... most likely their is something, like the wire, sticking out somewhere. It could be a big problem, or a little one. Find where it is and fix it. Good luck!

--Kiya--

perhaps you could buy some huge thin sheets of foam to put on top of the slabs- or rugs so it is softer on their feet and will help them heal.

Maybe not a long term solution but means they can still use the run with it attached to their house.

There is only one 'run' not 'runs'. I call the 'run' the caged off area where the rabbits can go outside of the hutches to stretch their legs. The actual huches where the rabbits live are inside the shed as seen below. They are always clean and have straw and hay inside. There is nothing sharp inside the run or hutches and the stone slabs are smooth.

shed3.jpg

Original position of the run
shed1.jpg

and the tunnel link to the run...
willow1.jpg

Hiya

Willow needs to see a Vet ASAP. Once the skin has broken down you have the potential for a serious infection.
She will need antibiotics (systemic and topical) plus pain relief as sore hocks are a VERY painful condition :(
She will need to be on thick, deep, clean bedding at ALL times. Vetbed or something similar is ideal.
Rexes are very prone to Ulcerative Pododermatitis (Sore Hocks) It is a serious condition and notoriously hard to clear up.
If infection gets into the tendon or bone then unfortunately it can prove fatal :(
The sooner you get your Bun on treatment and alter her accomodation accordingly the better for her longterm prognosis.
Please keep us posted as to how things go
Janex

My run is on slabs which is connected to the shed. Florence is a Rex and she has had sore hocks which came to light when she was being bonded with Bracken.

I have put on the run floor an old bath mat, some cardboard with newspaper on the top and touch wood that has helped heal the sores.

I also use sudocream on the sores just a light covering and that has helped to.

Booked her in at the vets tomorrow at 10:20. I'm thouroughly cleaning out the hutches and litter trays now. I only have straw at the moment for bedding, but I will put lots down. Only thing is, they always dig it up and lie on the bare floor!

Rex Rabbity said:
Booked her in at the vets tomorrow at 10:20. I'm thouroughly cleaning out the hutches and litter trays now. I only have straw at the moment for bedding, but I will put lots down. Only thing is, they always dig it up and lie on the bare floor!

Wabbits :roll:

They never make things easy for us do they!! I have lots of Rexes and the one with the worst Hocks is Miss Bunny Penny. She too got broken, bleeding hocks but with months of intensive treatment the problem is under control. Although her hocks are bald the skin has remained closed for about 3 months now.
Please let us know how Willow gets on at the Vets
Janex

I took Willow to the vets this morning. After examining her, he said that there is no need for any treatment. He said antibiotics would only potentially give her an upset tummy. He assured me that this was a very mild case and he has seen alot worse. Overnight, the hock must have sealed over as it did not look as bad as the photo I posted yesterday. He said to keep her off the hard surface though and once it has healed properly, introduce her gradually back onto the hard surface and monitor her progress. He reckons that she may build up a tougher layer of skin after healing. I personally think I need to find an alternative to the slabs, but what I just don't know. I don't want either of the rabs to have sore hocks. They both seem to love being on the grass though, both binkying and sprinting around which is VERY unusual for Willow! But it's just not practical, Flopsy has already destroyed the lawn with his digging. I also worry about bugs jumping into their fur from the grass and muddy dity wet coats etc. I put one of the hay racks in the run, but they prefer eating the grass! Whilst at the vets, they weighed her and I asked them to clip her nails too. I also asked about the huge chunks of missing fur and it did turn out to be just normal moult. And the bill...... £7.35 :shock: I could not believe it :D When I booked her in, the receptionist told me it would be £17 for consultation + treatment. I'm not complaining. For piece of mind seeing the vet and getting the nails done I thought the price was pretty good!

Back