• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Grooming

Shell

Alpha Buck
Snowy my free-ad bun now has reeaalllyyy long fur. When he came to me 5 weeks ago his fur was short as the previous owner had given him a good hair cut.

He is quite a nervous bun and I have not been able to handle him very much. I've noticed that some of his fur is getting a bit matted. I've tried grooming him but am only able to do his back. The fur around his back-end is very long too and I have not been able to check his bum. He is off to the vets on Tuesday so am going to ask the vet to cut out the matted fur.

Would the vet give him a good haircut and would they do it regularly or do vets not do that sort of thing?

im sure they would if you asked them. Is he an angora? Looks just like a dwarf lop in your sig so cant figure out what he is.. or is he a lionlop??
I use cat flea combs and another cat comb with alternative short and long teeth. I lay them on their backs to do their bottoms and around their tail as that area often matts. Also need to check under their front legs. I hope you can get him sorted.

Why don't you cut out the mats and afterwards keep him tangle-free? Or is he that jumpy that you can sit him still?

The vet might do that. Not sure...

--Kiya--

I'm not sure what he is... someone suggested that he mite be a lionlop.

This is what he looks like now:

000_0312.jpg

To be honest.. it's probably a lack of experience and confidence on my part and he's soooo jumpy I am unable to get hold of him, he gets so stressed that I give up trying to. I will see what the vet says tomorrow.

I had an angora cross (Lily) who was a rescue bun. I used to groom her every day. They don't like it much, but eventually sort of get used to it. I used to find the best thing was to keep her fur clipped back and just brush it through every day.

You will need some proper scissors that are round at the end and they are slightly bent around so that when you cut they go away from the rabbit (hope that makes sense!). You have to be extremely careful when cutting bunnies fur as they have such thin delicate skin it's easy to cut them open. I had a couple of accidents with Lily and it's so upsetting for both them and you.

Your vet should be able to help in this instance, my vet had to help me out a couple of times with Lily and they are usually quite willing to help. Also, because their fur is a different sort of texture they tend to be more prone to getting a mucky bum so keep an eye out for that.

Hope this helps a bit.

me again.... i just found this on the internet. the scissors I was on about are the second ones down, the curved grooming scissors...

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=8941&cm_mmc=Shopping%20Portal-_-ShoppingDotCom-_-Dogs-_-Curved%20Grooming%20Scissors%20(5-3/4%20long)&ref=3554&subref=AA&GCID=C12188x006&ctt=64

Back