• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Thin rabbit - thoughts?

SiDHEaD

Warren Scout
Hello,

We got a new bunny lady a few weeks ago. She is a lionhead of about 10-11weeks.

She eats hay all day long, and has some science selective pellets in the evening, but she is REALLY thin. Her backbone sticks out to a point. Other than that she seems in perfect health and is always racing round etc.

All poops etc seem in order.

Can rabbits get worms?

I have touble with my lionhead with weight and she gets an upset tum easily. Are tummy trouble and weight a lionhead thing?

My two have cast iron tummies and are nice n plump ;)

Yep, bunnies can get worms though it's not that common. A bit a porridge might help add weight... oats mixed with water :)

I must admit that the lionheads are often the ones that cause me most concern with their poor appetites when they come in for rehoming. I currently have a little girl I have named Militant Millicent and I have started to mix her science selective pellets with russel rabbit. She will now eat lots more and I hope to slowly wean her onto more pellets gradually.

I think lionheads can be more highly strung, and when they are a little unsure in new surroundings they may need a different approach to some other buns. Millicent is 6 months old but she is too thin to be neutered so she is undergoing a building up regime!

Her litter tray has to be 'just so', her hay rack too. She enjoys coriander but turns her cute little button nose up at the more ordinary veg. Obviously, I never pander to these little madams as I am sure you can tell!!

Alice

I think its just poor breeding that does it sometimes litters not fed well when young. If you cannot get weight on though it may need to be investigated by the vet.Worming can be done very easily with panacur from the vet buts its rare for rabbits to have a problem with worms. val

Hello.

Thanks for the replies.

She eats very well, certainly no appetite problems. She goes mad for her science selective before bed.

My other lionhead, who is about 4 is nice n plump and yet hardly eats his hay .

She's gotta go and have injections soon ready for her holidays, so I will see what the vet says then... unless she seems to get any thinner. I don't think she has gotten thinner, just not really improving.

I'm sure my friends male lionhead was much the same up to 1yr.

At that age she should have as many pellets as she wants, not just the few that older rabbits should have. Maybe that will help with her weight.

Back