• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Toy Help...

kaskaskia

Alpha Buck
Hi, I have 2 rabbits (Benjamin and Imogen). I am a fairly new rabbit owner (had Benj since Crimbo and got Imogen a couple of weeks ago from a rehome centre).
They are getting on ok (have the odd scuffle), and they live in a hutch at the top of my garden, with permanent access down a ramp to the run. Due to Imogen being a naughty digger, we have had to put the whole run on slabs, meaning poor old Benj dosnt see grass much. We let them out for a run in the garden every evening though.
Anyway - they have a ball, and a couple of solid plastic toys, but I was wondering:
Is it safe to give them paper that has ink on it? I regularly shred old bills, etc, and love the idea of shoving it all in a cardboard box and letting them dig, but I can't help worrying loads that the ink must be bad for them!
Is it?
Also, how safe are plastic things? Is there a danger of them chewing plastic and getting a cut in their mouth (or anywhere else) if the plastic breaks and becomes sharp?
Any advice would be great!

Hi. Well i can give shredded paper (with ink) to mine, and they dont lick/eat it, just dig in it, so obviously thats fine. I'd try them with it whilst your watching, Good chance they will just play with it. As for other toys, I think you can more or less gage urself if they will be safe for your buns, i recon most things depend on bunny. If ur in doubt, buy toys from places like bunny basics (www.bunnybasics.net) xx

I have given my bun shredded paper before, i put it in a carrier and hid lots of food in amongst it, she loved it.....very messy thoug :lol:

Mine have:
newpaper (whole - they shred it!)
Yellow pages (destroyed within about 5 mins!)
Willow balls & sticks (dead cheap from P@H) for them to chew

Cardboard tubes to run through/destroy
Flower pots (Rosie used to sleep in hers, but Flink stole it!)
Empty paper sacks (used to contain horse food - I stuff em with hay for the buns)
A football (from Nu Camp, Barcelona - Bloke was NOT impressed)
Toilet tubes & empty boxes.
Loads of plastic cat toys - I've kept them away from destructo-buns like Joey - although he has a plastic dumbell.
Flint has a fake carrot that he loves!
Polly & Alfie have a house with a balcony too :D

I find the best ever toy is a loo roll tube with hay shoved inside. They love to throw it around, pull out the hay and eat the tube! :)

Congrats on getting your new bunnies, and well done for rescuing! :thumb:

AMETHYST

Ah well, I was looking on the net for tips on how to look after Benjamin, what to feed him etc, and came across rabbit rehome. I was almost in tears at some of the stories! I am an animal lover by nature, and hate the thought of even a spider being in pain!
Anyway, it got me thinking about how good it would be for benjamin to have a friend of his own species, so one he was safely outside (we used to have him indoors cause he didn't have a winter coat) it was off to the local rehome centre. I feel rotten that we got Benjamin from a pet shop when we could have saved a homeless bun, but at least he was one pet shop rabbit that found a good home, thus saved the need for him to be rehomed in the future!
Imogen is still quite timid with us, and still stamps her foot when we approach, but Benj used to be just like that but now every time I go to see him he sticks his head out for a nose rub and head scratch. I'm hoping she'll come round soon enough. She's already a lot fatter! (but not too fat!)
Anyway, the toys ideas are good, I used to give Benjamin a loo roll tube filled with hay and to be honest he never bothered with it much - but maybe Imogen will like it more. Used to have a fake rabbit but it got so dirty from rain and mud (during Imogens digging period) that I had to chuck it out!
Anyway, off to enjoy the rare sun shine!

Edit: Fake CARROTT not rabbit!

Back