• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long to wait after neutering?

vickialthorpe

Young Bun
Gizmo our newest edition to the household has been neutered now for just over three weeks. Tony and I want to get him bonded with a doe for company as he's kept on his own in the spare room. Our other bonded pair don't get on with him, especially our 1st male Fuzzy. How long should we wait until it's safe to try bonding him. Some books/people say four weeks and other's say eight. We are intending to get his mate from a rescue, maybe Jane in Warwick as we got our bonded female from there and she provides on bonding service on neutral territory.

Any advice would be appreciated :p

Eight weeks is only relevant if bonding a neutered male with an unpsayed female (due to male still being fertile for a while after the op).

The longer you leave it the less hormonal he is likely to be so bonding is more likely to be successful BUT that doesn't mean it won't be successful if you try after eg 3 or even 2 weeks. The important thing is to make sure your bunny is fully recovered from his op as bonding can be a bit stressful for bunnies.

Good luck! :D

Thanks for that. Gizmo has fully recovered from his op but is still quite hormonal. Tried to mount or first male Fuzzy and gets quite excited if our other two buns are within smelling distance. Also still gets a bit friendly with a faux fur cushion on the sofa :oops: May leave for another couple of weeks when he is less excitable :wink:

Jane has all her does spayed, so you can bond him whenever you feel he is ready. - if she has a suitable doe, she has asked me several times lately if I have a doe for someone as she doesn't :? There seems to be a bit of a shortage of females in this area for some reason :?

There is bound to be some humping whenever he is bonded though as it is about dominence as well as hormones. But he ought to get over his liking for cushions :lol:

Back