• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How much should an adult female lionhead weigh?

Vic&Oat

Young Bun
Oat weighs 1.5kg and is a lionhead crossed with a nethie. He is a little boy though so am not sure about a good weight for a girlie. The vet says hes a good weight. Hope this might help?!
Vic
xxxxxxxxxxx

I've read this somewhere before but can't find it when I search....

How much should an adult lion head female weigh please?
Have had conflicting messages from two vets about this.

thank you x

It's a bit 'how long is a piece of string' I think. Rory weighs 2kg, but lionheads were originally bred from netherland dwarves I think so it is very possible that they could weigh a lot less! You really have to look at the bone size etc to be able to say :?

AlisonA said:
It's a bit 'how long is a piece of string' I think. Rory weighs 2kg, but lionheads were originally bred from netherland dwarves I think so it is very possible that they could weigh a lot less! You really have to look at the bone size etc to be able to say :?

Sorry, I kind of meant lowest and highest boundries really.

I will be trying to fatten Esmerelda up now, thanks for both of your replies.

my two are 1.4kg and 1.8kg so id guess yours is ok. Simba is a small lionhead, Nala is more a medium sized one.

mandy said:
Sorry, I kind of meant lowest and highest boundries really.

I will be trying to fatten Esmerelda up now, thanks for both of your replies.

The BRC weight standard for a lionhead is 3lbs - 3lb12oz which is about 1.4kg to 1.7kg i think, However teh weight of a nethie is around 1kg so if its a cross it would probably be the lower end.. its difficult to say but if your vet thinks he's ok im sure he's fine. Best way is to monitor his weight every 6months when he goes in for his jabs ask the vet to weigh him, unless u can do it yourself, and see if it goes up or down.

Thank you Dideen, Esmerelda weighs 1.6kg but I've always thought she was too skinny. I saw two vets last week, one said she was fine other said she was underweight.

I think perhaps she's a bit bigger than a standard lion head so could do with putting a bit on. x

Back