• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding - How long after neuter

Cristian

Young Bun
Sadly we lost one of our rabbits last week. Smokey was a really lovable male silver fox & bonded with a female french lop called Coco. He was very much the most laid back rabbit that we've owned & missed by us & Coco.

After much thought, I've just arranged to take on a rescue rabbit to keep Coco company and he is being castrated this week. Coco was spayed a year ago.

I understand that he won't have stitches (just glue to the wound), but how long should I leave it before I try to bond them together?

Also, I have moved Coco into a spare run/hutch and want to house the new rabbit in the larger hutch/run that Coco & Smokey shared, until it's safe to move Coco in with him. I've scrubbed/cleanse sprayed the run/hutch, but will Coco remember it as her territory when I re-introduce her to it? - If so, will this create a terrirorial problem?

Apologies, if this is repeating previous forum messages, but I struggled to find anything this specific.

Thanks

Cristian

Males are fertile for 6 weeks after the op, but this won't matter too much as she's neutered.
It takes around 4 weeks for their hormones to calm down though. This is the time period I went on before introducing my neutered males together and had no problems - both introductions (two singles, and then a single to the pair) went really smoothly and they were bonded within a day!
It'll also give your boy a chance to heal up - if you put him with her too soon he may overexhert himself and make himself a little sore if he mounts her (out of 'friskiness' or just dominance)

As long as you clean out the hutch as thoroughly as possible, it should be OK. Use a special stain & odour remover aimed at pets, or diluted vinegar, as these will neutralise the ammonia in the wood that normal disinfectants won't - and this is what the bunnies will smell.

Hiya! So sorry to hear about your loss of Smokey :cry: I would be inclined to leave it 2-3 weeks before you start bonding, as even though Coco is spayed, he will still feel quite hormonal for a few weeks. There is bound to be some 'dominance' humping but at least he should have got most of the testosterone out of his system by then.

It's hard to know if Coco will recognise the old place as her territory, are you planning on actually introducing them there, or only putting them in there once they are bonded?

Carly / Alison, thanks for your comments.

I'm planning on using the lawn run to bond them in, as I can put in a wire divider. This will keep them apart and (hopefully) avoid the new fella from getting too excited and hurting himself.

I kinda had the thought that I should house the new rabbit in Coco's old run/hutch and let him mark it out as his own territory. Once I'm happy that they have bonded, then I'll try Coco in the run with him. I'm just a bit wary in case she remembers it has her old patch and gets the hump that he's taken it over!

If I can, I may also move them so that they are both housed close to each other.

oh... the other thought I had was to paint a new coat of (animal friendly)creosote (is that spelt right?) for the run/hutch.

I don't know if any other readers/members have any experience of these two points?

Cristian

Bonding after neutering

I'm really glad you asked this, as I have just had my buck castrated (2 weeks ago) and was hoping to bond him with an 8 week old doelet this weekend.

Ok, we pick up the new bun tomorrow. The run & hutch have been scrubbed and retreated. All looks like new. I must say that I can't stand the smell of vinegar, but it's done the trick!

I'm aiming to introduce them in a divided run to start off with and then let them loose with each other maybe next weekend. This will give him about 10 days after his castration. I'm guessing that he'll be healed. The only problem is if he tries it on with Coco and she doesn't take too kindly to it!

No doubt, I'll have the towels, water spray guns and broom all handy!

Re: Bonding after neutering

Sue said:
I'm really glad you asked this, as I have just had my buck castrated (2 weeks ago) and was hoping to bond him with an 8 week old doelet this weekend.

Although it takes 2-4 weeks for male bunnies to calm down after their op, they're still fertile for 6 weeks. Although it's unlikely a doe will concieve at 8 weeks it has happened so I'd wait a few more weeks before putting them together

i was just comming onto here to ask how long after castration before their hormones calm down-how strange! :lol: Stumpy is still hormonal as ever! i have kept his bunny teddy out since his op but every time he sees it he goes mad! i held it to him once and he nearly pulled himself out of the cage holding onto it to try and hump the poor thing! :shock: :lol: i will be giving him it back tonight as hes all healed and fine now :D not looking forward to hearing his cage vibrate all night though :shock: :oops: :lol:

cant wait to start bonding him with Gabriel-i think they have both gone without out a friend for far too long now!! im hoping so much that they get along!

Back