• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bald patches and flakes

touie

Wise Old Thumper
I was brushing caramel out yesterday, she had got very knotty. I thought she was molting again but as i was brushing all the loose fur out I noticed some large baldish patches appearing :shock: also around the skin on her lower back she has lots of flakey bits and one small sore red bit :(

I've had other people say that when they've brushed out a knotty animal that it has looked quite bald underneath :?

I have some shampoo that the vet gave me for Fudge to try before she gave out any Medication for mites called Hexocil. I was wondering whether to try this before taking her to the vets or if shampooing an angora is a bad idea?

I know this isn't much help, but I have a half feral longhaired cat who had similar problems. She gets knotted up and we have to shave her periodically as she won't tolerate grooming. When the matts form, the skin below can't breathe and it collects skin flakes and can often get sore. With a rabbit's skin being very thin and delicate (much like our cat's) it can also easily tear when grooming out heavy knots. I would say the dandruff/flakes is probably normal for under heavy tats, but any sore or broken skin would need a vet peeking at it before shampooing with anything that could irritate it. :)

Sounds just like my Alex Dream Bun.

He has balding patches, dandruff & scratches them. Chey-sommat mites. My vet has prescribed mite shampoo, stonghold & I've also used Ivometic. He's no better. :(

I was told it usually happens if bun has been stressed (Alex moved house & was neutered/vacs), & is unlikely to pass to other buns, but I'd to watch em.

I'm seeing vet again tonight with him, to see what else he suggests, but if anyone has any more ideas, please let me know. i want to pair him up :(

I guess it could have just been a really heavy molt that got matted and because I was grooming her by myself I might not have been as gentle as I could have been if I had someone else to hold her. I did notice that when I groomed my 2 and kerrys 2 longhaired bunnies they were all a little flakey around their lower backs.

I think I'll try and get someone to hold her for me tomorrow so I can have a good look and cut the long fur off and if it looks bad I'll make a vets appt on Monday

Drops,

but now injections. Some of his hair has grown back, so vet thinks it's now working :D

I'm brushing him everyday & he's definitely better than he was :D

Back