• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

RearGuard - is it only from the vet?

loulouembers

Warren Scout
I have a bun with an infection around his 'boys bits' and he is on baytril and twice daily salt water washes.
The vet suggested using Rearguard as well but they had none in stock.
Can I get this online? Hopefully a little cheaper than the vets price too!

Thanks
Louisa

AFAIK only available from the vet. However if you get the vet to show you how its done first time you can arrage with them for them to supply and for you to administer it yourself.

Adam

I've never seen it anywhere apart from the vets, but it's really easy to put on (unless your bun is evil lol) it's a foam sponge on the end that you just wipe over their bodies and underside etc.

It's perscription only. If your vet writes a perscription it might be possible to cash it in at another vets.

Tamsin said:
It's perscription only. If your vet writes a perscription it might be possible to cash it in at another vets.
Well, I never knew that :? :oops: :roll:

I thought it was something you could buy at the vets - over the counter type of thing! :lol:

I didn't need a prescription, I just bought it after my appointment, they did check I was a customer of the surgery before they let me have it.

Yep I think that's the difference, in effect by giving it to you, they are 'prescribing' it to one of the animals they treat - but another vet can't do that. But you can technically ask your vet for a prescription that you can take and buy elsewhere (bit like after you have an eye test, you don't have to buy your glasses at that optician).

I'm sure you could buy it on the net as I've seen everything from Myxy vaccines to Baytril etc, but I don't think it's worth risking.

You can't just walk into any vet to get it- that's why they checked your details. Some vets will let you have it if they've seen you within 6 months.

I don't mean you litterally need a bit of paper - if you buy it after an appointment etc. that's fine. It's the same as other drugs you get from the vet e.g. baytril/metacam. You can't just walk in and buy them the vet has to agree they are appropriate.

Vets can write perscriptions, they just don't need to when they've seen the animal and are giving you the drugs. If you want to buy it elsewhere you'll need a perscription from your vet though so they know the animals been seen.

raven_guest said:
I'm sure you could buy it on the net as I've seen everything from Myxy vaccines to Baytril etc, but I don't think it's worth risking.

There are companies that will take you perscription online and post the meds. That's legal but you still need the perscription. If they don't ask for one then it's illegal.

Tamsin said:
There are companies that will take you perscription online and post the meds. That's legal but you still need the perscription. If they don't ask for one then it's illegal.
I'm not planning on doing it - I'm just nosey - do you know if in those circumstances the offence would be committed by you or them, or both?

They would definately be comitting an offense. Not sure about you, though I think it might be illegal to have perscription drugs in your posession you don't have a perscription for?

Back