• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

indoor setup?

Hopping_mad

Young Bun
hi, sorry im probablly going to go on a bit...
our two bunnies have been living in separate playpens in the dinning room but we have just put them together (so far no problems). i want to move them out of the playpens and into the kitchen so they can have the whole room and be totally free range (ie no cage). im going to get a covered litter tray (because they love nothing better than throwing the contents as far as possible) but im not sure what to do about hay. at the moment we use a hanging basket as recommended by someone on here as a hay rack, which works great and they eat loads more hay but they get it everywhere. now whilst im not very house proud it would be nice if it didnt look like we are living in a stable(and people at work have started commenting because i come in covered in the stuff).
anyway just want ideas on how to limit the chaos in the kitchen.

thanks

picture of one of the little trouble makers and his mess - if only he wasnt so damn cute!

Yep! my outdoor bunnies do that with the hay too! I'd recommend putting the hay in a box, where they can sit in it and munch away. If you put the box under the hay rack, they can still use it.

DSCN0934.jpg

you can seehow much salt and pepper like their box!

I'd try a cat toilet instead of a litter tray, it'll keep all the mess inside and isn;t kicked around as much, my buns love theirs! (Though they may still dig the contents out!)

Mine like their hay in a closed large box with a whole cut out of one end so they can kind of dig into it. I also have a wicker basket that I sometimes fill with hay and they enjoy jumping in and out of it and nibbling both the hay and the basket too.
Love the picture!

raven_guest said:
I'd try a cat toilet instead of a litter tray, it'll keep all the mess inside and isn;t kicked around as much, my buns love theirs! (Though they may still dig the contents out!)

Or a washing up bowl, as it has high sides to keep everything in. :)

we did try putting the hay in a box but they seem to get confused and start using it as a litter tray . may be if i just put the hay rack over the litter tray?? but then they do so love rolling on their backs in the megasorb which isnt half so much fun when its covered in hay.

maybe i should just train them to tidy up before i come home from work :D

mine have their hay in storage boxes - they don't make much mess as the sides are higher than a cat litter tray.

lunchtime.jpg

Back