• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nest building

monkeypuzzler

Mama Doe
One of the free ad buns that we're fostering at the moment, the gorgeous Claudia Jane, has tonight built herself a lovely little nest in her bed area, with loads of her fur.

I asked when picking the three bunnies up (as none were speyed or castrated) that they had been kept seperate, and the woman said there was no way either girl could be pregnant. I know she could have been misleading me, but I've had a feel of CJ's tummy and I don't think there's anything there. So, for the moment at least, I'm thinking positive and assuming it's just a phantom.

What I wanted to know was, will it upset her if I removed the nesting material when cleaning her hutch? If so, how long should I leave it for? She seems to be settling in well, and I don't want to spoil that by disrupting things.

Roo

They didn't have access through wire. They were in solid wood hutches, only wire was on the front panel, and the hutches were stacked on top and next to each other. If she was pregnant, it would have to be because she had been deliberately put together with one of the males.

Am I right in thinking that when a doe is pregnant they only build the nest shortly before they have the kits?

They didn't have access through wire. They were in solid wood hutches, only wire was on the front panel, and the hutches were stacked on top and next to each other. If she was pregnant, it would have to be because she had been deliberately put together with one of the males.

Am I right in thinking that when a doe is pregnant they only build the nest shortly before they have the kits?

It won't hurt to leave it, she'll just build another one if you do and it will hurt her to remove too much fur.
If she is pregnant, they generally build a nest up to a week before they are due, though most of the time it is only a couple of days.
Be very gentle with her just in case she is pregnant, I'll keep my fingers crossed that she isn't though! ANy good vet can feel for babies if she is far along enough.

I always leave my girls nests for about a week, otherwise they just pull a load more fur out to make another one - If it's a phantom they lose interest after a few days, and if it's a real pregnancy you will have babies in a few days!

Thanks for the words of advice. Will leave her bed area in peace for a few days, and keep my fingers crossed that it's just a phantom. :shock:

Was this lady aware that rabbits can mate through wire cage walls? I'd leave it for now, in case she is pregnant.

Back