• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Calling anyone with House Bunnies please

Truffybuns

Warren Scout
Sorry if this is going to sound like a realy stupid question, all sensible and non sensible answers welcome! (or when you have all finished laughing :oops: ) Truffy is a free range house bunny and all my floors are carpeted apart from the Kitchen. The new house I am moving to has laminate flooring in the lounge/hall. Does anyone else keep there bunnies on this and can they move around ok? I have visions of my poor bunny skiing from one end of the house to the other and ending up splatted against the french windows! (she has seriously fluffy tootsies!) Truffy ventures into the kitchen occasionaly (only when the fridge is open :roll: ) but she likes to keep one paw on the doormat and stretch! I was planning on putting her litter tray on it's own rug and have a big rug in the middle of the floor, do you think this would be ok?

Many thanks

TC and Truffy

My buns hate the kitchen as they slip on it, but if you're going to put mats down I'm sure bun will be fine. My poor giant was racing from the living room (carpetted) to the kitchen and just skidded all the way out the other side of the room. He was not impressed!

It really depends on the bunny. My two house buns live on parket (sp?) wood flooring which is quite slippy. It took some getting used to but they are fine with it now. I put down a couple of rugs for them and they are happy.

Many thanks for your reply :D Your poor bunny, I guess the pride was seriously dented on that occasion! I will try with rugs (I can see my living room looking like a hopscotch course with mats :roll: ) and see how she gets on. I would just quite like to keep it as I thought it would be easier to keep clean what with muddy dog paws and hay but if she doesn't like it I can always re-carpet.

The laminate in our house never bothered Smudge but my other bun, Cassie, couldn't seem to walk on it at all.

I put rugs down for them and Smudge enjoyed running up to one and making it skid. I'm sure he was a dog in a past life :lol:

Ahhh bless him :D I also have a dog so I can see the pair of them having all sorts of fun when I am not there :lol: Think I will have to consider velcroing the rugs to the floor :? My house is going to look sooooo stylish isn't it :roll: :lol:

We had laminate and Tilly used to be quite happy on it once she was used to it and it was funny watching her learn :lol: Deffo much easier to clean, we have carpets now and I can't wait til I can get laminate again! :? :D

Coco has to spend most of her time on a ceramic floor, or floorboards she really has to go wandering to find carpet ! She's absolutely fine, she does goe skidding away if she takes off in a hurry but they quickly adapt. Ive got a couple of small cotton rag rugs down, one just outside her pen and one futher off in the kichen that she normall chills on - theyre dead easy to wash for fur and any accidents... also I wouldnt like to sit on a ceramic floor even with a furry bum!

Kahlo hates the slippy lino in the kitchen, and will only creep around the edge of the room on it!

But, my old house bunny, Wokky, was fine. She had her skid perfectly mastered so she came to a stop exactly where she wanted :lol: :lol: Normally at my feet when I was opening the cupboard that just happened to have some dried apricots in it! :lol: :lol:

I got 11 buns, 1 possible temp & 2 definite temp buns, & they are all currently living on laminate. 6 of em, were on carpet before, at my last house & took a few days to adjust, but are now fine.(Joey ran too fast, smacked into wall & cut his face :shock: )
:D :D They all have a mat in their sections, except Rosie & Flint who kept mistaking it for a litter tray(!), They also all have a hutch, filled with shavings & shredded paper & most of them have yellow pages, or newspaper (except Rosie & Flint who thought it was a litter tray), & a hay filled box (except Rosie & Flint who thought it was a litter tray!!!)

Litter training currently underway for Rosie & Flint. They were so good until they were bonded!!! :lol:

Our first rabbit Fuzzy got used to laminate flooring in our lounge quite quickly. He's sometimes forgets when he comes running in a skids a bit :oops: Our 2nd Bunny Snowball hates it :!: We've had to put a couple of large scatter rugs down and she feels much more comfortable with this set up :wink:

It does depend a bit on the bunny but I would say that big rugs are a must regardless, because they are much safer for your bun. Sylvia is the most confident on our laminate. Humphrey hates it. Tilly will go on it if it leads her somewhere but otherwise is quite happy to stick to her carpeted area. Oli is also ok on it but prefers outdoors! b-m

My house buns don't seem to mind my lamiate flooring or the kitchen floor. I think it's because I haven't given them a choice perhaps if I had they may of been frietened of it, but instead they've adapted to it. None of my house bunnies slide, but when I bring in a hutch bunny, the hutch bunnies seems to hate the flooring.

Many thanks everyone for replying :D By the sounds of it I will just have to see how she get's on and of course put sponge on the corners of furniture incase of over exhuberant binkying :lol:

For mine, it really depends on how slippery the laminate is. Some are worse than others. Only one of my buns ventures into the kitchen, which has very slippery laminate. But they all like the bathroom, which has a little more texture and some rugs. My bunny room has vinyl flooring in it with very deep grooves. It's not slippery at all, and they really like it now that they're used to it. They race across it at top speed.

I'd suggest putting down some rugs and such first, so your rabbit has time to adjust. If she learns to like the floor, you can take some of the rugs away if you don't like them.

We have faux wood floors and linoleum in our house, and Maisie does just fine. She was quite hesitant to come out at first (as she was going on the tile in our last place), but she's gotten used to it now. There are times where she goes to run back into her cage, and slips around a bit, but it's fine. It might help if you give your bun a rug right outside the cage door, so she can come out at least a little, and gain the confidence to step onto the floor. :)

Let us know how it goes! :)

Back