• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Does anyone know anything about peritonitis?

daisylou

Warren Scout
Hi

My bunny Mosschops got put to sleep last week. I noticed she was poorly on the Monday night. Took her to the vet on Tuesday where she had a scan and then an x-ray. The x-ray seemingly confirmed the sediment and stones in her bladder that the vet thought he saw in the scan. He told me she needed to be operated on. When I asked how this happened he said it was the food I was feeding her. But I fed her Excel food for Dwarf rabbits as they told me too. He then said it was her inability to digest it - she was 3 and a half, would this have suddenly happened.

Obviously there is risk to every operation but the vet told me he would put his rabbit through it so I agreed to it. I got a call the next day which shocked and devestated me. A different vet told me she had a fatal infection of which no rabbits survive and there was nothing they could do. He mentioned peritonitis of which I have never heard. To be honest I was so shocked and confused and upset when it all happened I didn't really take in what he was saying and don't know if I can go back and ask them again.

I have had a look on the internet for peritonitis but can't find anything definite. Does something cause it? Are there signs that I can look for other than the lethargy Mosschops should very suddenly?

He did make reference to the fact that she had been neutered and then asked if my other rabbit was also neutered. I don't know if I am clutching at straws, but would this have anything to do with it.

I feel I can't let her go until I know what caused this illness. I keep feeling like I have let her down, maybe I did something wrong or could have noticed something earlier.

Hope somebody knows a little bit about it or can tell me where to find out about it.

Thanks

Louise

peritonitis is not something commonly seen in bunnies, but maybe thats because they couldnt show the classical symptoms. it is very common in dogs and cats and is basically an infection of the peritoneum, the linings of the intestines, stomach etc. the symtoms are depression, lethargy, vomiting, diah and dehydration, most of which rabbits dont show outwardly the way a cat or dog would. it is also generally a secondry infection due to something else, acute illness, major surgery, foreign bodies etc.
please dont feel bad, i dont think there is anything else you could have done. peritonitis is a loosely used word sometimes just to describe the organs looking a 'bit not right'. perhaps due to the stones she built up an infection, im sure you did the best thing by her. so sorry for your loss {{hugs}}

Binky_Free_l_22714.gif

It is so difficult when you don't really know the reason. sorry I can't help at all but feel for you

peritonitis happens when the intestines are accidentally perforated during surgery, or if a blockage causes a rupture of the intestines - rabbits are also prone to adhesions of the intestines following surgery like spay, and adhesions cause rupture, and the rabbit dies of peritonitis.

Peritonitis is nearly always fatal - my gran died of it last year :( Basically the guts are full of bacteria needed for digestion, and if these leak somehow into the abdominal cavity, then all the organs in contact with that get infected with the bacteria, causing total organ failure.

Your vet sounds a bit vague about the bladder sludge - maybe she had a blockage? I'm sure it's nothing you've done wrong! Some rabbits just can't metabolise calcium as well as others - it's genetic. Rabbits are fragile little things anyway - I'm so sorry you've lost yours like this, suddenly and with a lot of anxiety that you've done something wrong - you haven't!

Please don't feel guilty. Sadly there is a huge mortality rate in rabbits,
for every one that reaches a grand old age there are dozens who die young, like your little girl. You did a lot more for her than many people would have known to do---you noticed she was ill and got her straight to the vet. Quite often with these gut related/internal problems it comes on so quickly that the first thing you see is a dead rabbit, and more often than not by the time the rabbit shows symptoms it is already too late.

You did your very best for her, and I'm sure she knew she was loved.

Back