• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Male scent

Monty'sMarch

Young Bun
I notice my male intact bunny, March, has a bad "scent" to him once in awhile.

Is this a male rabbit smell and will it go away once he is neutered (June!)?

My new female New Zealand never smells like him.

I have also heard that intact males have more of an odor to them. My only boy was neutered when I adopted him, so I don't have first hand experience. :wink: I do know that mine smells a bit when he does his love dance for his girlfriend. I'm guessing that he's using his scent glands when he does that.

Speaking of which, if the scent glands need to be cleaned then the bunny can smell a bit rank.

I noticed that my intact doe was very "rabbity" smelling! She does seem to have less of a strong sent now she has been spayed - or is that my imagination?

the male like to rub the bottom part of their chin against objects, as that release hormones smell. Other than that, their urine is stronger than a female.

If the rabbit is young, there is a smell, but really doesn't much to do w/ gender, when they are fully mature, the smell should be gone.

Intact males usually have a lot stronger smell than any female rabbit has, particuarly when they spray, once they are neutered this rapidly disappears. For this reason I rarely put them in my shed as the smell often takes ages to subside.

Smudge smelled pretty bad bafore he was neutered but now he is as fresh as a daisy Well nearly!!! Don't all teenage boys smell? :lol:

Yup, Rex and his brother (living seperately but side by side) STUNK at the petshop before I was given Rex and got him neutered (he was about 6 months - couldn't be sold as he had teeth problems and his brother was bought but returned because they'd bought 2 mini lop babies instead :roll: ). We got the work experience kids doing the rabbits for their two weeks because of it :lol:

Back