• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worrying news about Max (up date - very bad news)

maxbun

Warren Scout
As some of you may be aware, I have been having trouble with Max and his teeth for several months now. He last had his molars burred at the end of February and has since developed runny eyes which after investigations the vet found were caused by his tooth roots irritating his tear ducts. Since his last dental, he has been reluctant to eat and has been dribbling intermitantly and has lost weight, even though he has been eating oats and weetabix. Today, the vet has discovered he has developed an abcess in his lower jaw and the prognosis is poor - the vet feels that an anaesthetic would be very risky as his chest is not too good at the moment. Healing vibes would be appreciated.

Jane

Poor Max :cry:
Has your Vet prescribed daily pain relief and antibiotics for Max?
The antibiotics wont 'cure' the abscess but may prevent infection spreading.
Soothing vibes heading Max's way.
Janex

Really bad news, and at the moment I can't say too much, but after a long discussion with the vet, and taking into account the fact that despite long term antibiotics and painkillers, Max is having such a lot of trouble eating, we have decided that the kindest thing to do is to put him to sleep - I've bought him home for a last bit of sunshine with Millie and am going back this evening. I am sure this is the right decision, but it is so hard. I am crying again as I type. :cry: :cry:
Jane

For what it is worth I think you are making the right, totally unselfish,loving and VERY brave, decision.
Osteomyelitis of the jaw is an extremely painful condition and from what you describe it is quite advanced. Surgery would be major, painful, with a very guarded prognosis.
I would do exactly the same as you.
Lots of hugs coming your way.
Max is blessed with a wonderful Mum who puts HIS needs first.
Janex

Dear Jane...this is so hard for you and your beloved Max. such a hard decision I know but the very best for your baby. If it were you or I ......you know what we would choose. Please take comfort in the thought that we all know how you feel and we are all here for you.

vic2111.jpg

Oh I'm so sorry to hear that you are having to make this heartbreaking decision. :cry: :cry: Try and take some comfort in the fact that you are doing your best for him and it will mean that he will no longer be suffering :( :cry:

I hope that your visit to the vets is peaceful, when I had to make the same difficult decision I was comforted that Jack passed very quickly with no pain and that I was able to hold him while he slipped away.
When I lost another rabbit a few months previously she was terrified and screaming then died and it is a horrible memory.
Sending you comfort at this sad time

Louisa

Thank you all for your kind words, sometimes, although in your heart you know you have made the right decision, you do doubt yourself. I just feel very very sad at the moment - I've been out to see Millie, but I don't think she has missed Max yet - they were still sleeping in separate hutches at night because of Max's problems eating. It will be during the day when she is in the garden or run without him.

Jane

so so sorry to hear about Max- sending you hugs- thinking of you through this difficult time

So sorry to hear this. My Patch had osteomylitis in the jaw, and it was horrible to see her deteriorate. You have made the right decision, thinking of you and Millie at this very sad time.

Jane, we are so sorry to hear your sad news about Max :( :( :(
sending you lots of love and hugs
Adele, David and the Sanctuary bunnies
XX

Back