• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pandora not eating

anon101

Banned
Hi Folks,

Pandora is one of the free-add Rabbits we picked up on Sunday. She’s mum to two Lionhead lops that live with her. Pandora is hugely overweight with a big belly. So much so she has trouble grooming her rear end, which I am doing for her at the moment.

She was fairly active yesterday and ate some pellets/hay. She looked a bit grumpy this morning and didn’t eat much other then a few nibbles of her pellets. This afternoon she had two hours exercise outside the cage. Had a bit of a wander round then sat in a corner. I’ve just given them their tea, which she didn’t touch. Tried tempting her with a dandelion, which she did not want.

I’ve now got her in the front room with me, as I’m a bit concerned she has not eaten/drunk all day. I’m syringing chamomile tea every hour at the moment to get some fluid in her. Tummy doesn’t feel hard and she’s not hunched up so I don’t think its bloat, no obvious signs of teeth problems.

I’m a bit of loss with what’s the matter with her? If she hasn’t touched any of her food in the next hour or so I may well try and syringe some mashed up pellets, as I don’t want her gut to slow down to much.

Louise

Poor girlie.
If she is overweight could she have a bit of joint pain, particularly in her hips?
She may well not be used to any exercise at all and now she has had the chance to move about she realises her joints ache?
So the ache stops her wanting to eat :? :?
Hope she continues to take fluids and will improve throughout the night.
Janex

I think Jane's probably right - have you got any metacam? You could maybe dissolve half an asprin in 100ml of water and give her some of that if not - it's anti-inflammatory, although not good on an empty stomach, so give it with food.

It's also possible that the unaccustomed exercise has moved her bowels on a bit faster, and she's got a blockage piling up, in which case don't force more food into her - just water.

The guinea pig website recommends buscopan tablets, for human indigestion, as they are anti-spasmodic if the bowel has collicky pains - that might help her too.

All these home remedies - what am I like :roll: Ignore me if you don't agree with them. Hope she's OK soon :)

Thanks for the advice folks. :)

I decided against syringing her any food in the end. Just kept giving her fluids and had her in a box by the radiator. She perked up loads an hour ago. :D Hopped out the box and had a wander around the kitchen, even had a nibble on some grass. :) :)

I think your right in that she’s probably a little sore from the sudden increase in her exercise/freedom. She’s been stretched out most of the day today probably trying to take some weight of her joints.

I will be staying up a couple more hours to make sure she is OK then settle her for the night.

Louise

Umm, just an idea but when did she last see the daddy of the two youngsters?

Tam

Tamsin said:
Umm, just an idea but when did she last see the daddy of the two youngsters?

Tam

As far as I am aware she has been kept with her two daughters who are both nearing 10 months old (I’ve checked and double checked there girls!) The lady did have two male Rabbits, which she had re-homed a few weeks earlier. One was neutered one was not.

She gave me the impression they had all been separated but who knows? :shock: :shock:

Anybody know how to tell if a Rabbit is pregnant?

She seems fine this morning if a little quite. Eaten a bit then just stretched out again.

Louise

ellepotter said:
I’m syringing chamomile tea every hour at the moment to get some fluid in her.

Sorry to take your thread, but is that the best thing to syringe when they arent drinking then? Thanks, Becki xx

I like giving Chamomile tea when they are not eating/drinking for whatever reason. If there are any digestive problems it will ease them as Chamomile has a very mild laxative action and is very soothing.

Louise

ellepotter said:
I like giving Chamomile tea when they are not eating/drinking for whatever reason. If there are any digestive problems it will ease them as Chamomile has a very mild laxative action and is very soothing.

Louise

Isn't chamomile tea what mummy bunny gave Peter rabbit after he'd escaped from mr McGregor's garden? Wise bunny! :D

Back