• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shelves for play

tomjacob

Banned
I've noticed in pictures of bunny homes and play areas that there are shelves to walk along. What wood would I use for this, and what would I balance a shelf on, would those willow tunnels support a shelf?

Just looks like a bit of fun and I know bunnies like being off the ground and I'm always trying to find them fun things to do so any help on this is appreciated. Thanks.

Hi, I just used mdf for the shelf as its cheap and hard wearing, and used normal softwood 2" by 1" wood for the supports.

When I did the first one I wrote the instructions up, use them for guidelines and do you own version. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6267

One major change is that on the latest version the shelves are coated in polyurethene varnish - its none toxic and means that the shelves are 'wipe clean'. Make sure you use the matt or satin one else its too slippy. My o/h also has a new plan to attach the shelf, I'll post pics when its done.

Lots of other people have done shelves too so I'm sur eothers will also have advice.

My buns love their shelf, they go stand on it and hang out of the door when they want attention!

Thanks Bev, sorry I didn't spot your info before. I really enjoy doing toys and play things for my animals, I'm forever cutting holes in boxes and sticking chubes in and when i see other people's setups you can't help but get inspiration but I'm so wary about getting something poisonous being as bunnies eat EVERYTHING!

Thanks so much.

Aliandbuns said:
Is MDF safe for bunnies? What if they chew it? :?

My dad is a carpenter and he suggested mdf, he says its not toxic. Although you do have to be careful when you cut it cos it makes so much dust and thats bad for us (and them). We discussed what wood to use and a definite plus for mdf is its strength and that it doens't splinter. The buns have chewed mdf and they're both fine - I use the off cuts to block under the sofa etc etc too.

tomjacob said:
Thanks Bev, sorry I didn't spot your info before. I really enjoy doing toys and play things for my animals, I'm forever cutting holes in boxes and sticking chubes in and when i see other people's setups you can't help but get inspiration but I'm so wary about getting something poisonous being as bunnies eat EVERYTHING!

Thanks so much.

Ah, me too, I made Lavender a birthday cake and even coloured it in using non toxic felt tip pens! I even checked the label tissue paper! She demolished it within a week.

PeasBday_Oct05044.jpg

In my opinion I would not use MDF, even if someone gave me loads for free i just WOULD NOT use it. Its highly toxic to humans and can cause buns to have respiratory problems if they chew it. Although your buns seem fine after they have chewed it, they may not be. Use a natural wood like untreated pine, that way if they chew it you KNOW that it wont hurt them. I've asked alot of questions about wood on this forum so this post is based on the information I gathered from other peoples replies to my questions.

Beautiful cake Bev, it's really lovely. I never know the birthdays of my animals as all rescue but I suppose I could pick a day we all have one, the Queen has 2 after all and my animals are FAR more important that the Queen! (Blimey does that mean I'm off to the tower as I'm claustophobic aargh!).

Molly's shelf is made with mdf but he can't reach it to knaw it and he's never shown any interest in nibbling it when hes been on it. He has other wood things to chew that interest him more I guess. I can't see how problems could be caused by chewing it as it's only dangerous if the fine dust particles are inhaled and it would be wet if they chew it and not going into their lungs surely?

Back