• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nightmare rabbit weekend - Leon worse for wear

toffee

Mama Doe
Well, when I went to the rabbit sanctuary on saturday I found out that Lolly is, in fact a male :shock: so have changed his name back to Leon. Not impressed as 3 vets at the practice I have been going to said he was female. Needless to say i have now changed vets. :evil:

I was having a look at Leon yesterday and noticed a gash on his belly about 1" and a half long and nearly as wide :shock: ! Rushed him to the emergency vets and they said they were going to have to give him a GA to stitch him up so I told them to castrate him at the same time. I suspect the injury was caused when he was with another rabbit at the sanctuary (A male because I thought Leon was female) and then aggravated when he was at home, because we couldnt see any blood anywhere.

Well, the whole sorry episode has cost me £300! I have now got a quote for rabbit insurance!

The main thing is that Leon is OK. Took him to get his stitches checked today and the vet says it looks really good and the emergency vet did a really good job.

Please send loads of positive vibes to help his recovery. I don't know what I would have done if he hadn't been ok. :cry: :love:

Lots of positive vibes from me. Glad that Leon has improved, even if your bank balance hasn't.
Kate

OOoohh!!!! i forgot to say - one good thing has come out of this - I have reserved a little girl rabbit at the sanctuary. She's getting spayed in two weeks and when she's healed the lady at the sanctuary is going to try and bond them for me!!

She's lovely - it will be nice for Leon to have a friend, especially after his ordeal.

Awww sending vibes.... I spent ages looking for rabbit insurance the best and the cheapest for me were petplan....
Hope the bonding session goes well :)

Poor little Leon, just tell him he will soon have a lady friend, that should cheer him up :D Actually on second thoughts I would probably wait till he has recovered from his castration before you tell him :oops:

oh poor little fella :( watch you don't get an abscess on his tummy though, as this is what happened to Touie's rabbit Amy - she's fine now but it took ages to clear it up with antibiotics etc. Did the vet give you a course of antibiotics for him as a precaution?

Hope he's well soon and finds love :)

Yes he's on antibiotics twice a day (which he hates!!!)

Baytril 0.27

His wounds are looking really good and I'm hoping it will not be too long before the external ones are taken out. He's going to the vet tomorrow morning so we'll see what she says.

He managed the whole night with his lampshade on and managed to eat some spring greens and loads of hay last night. He's being closely monitored without the lampshade at the mo by OH so he can have some pellets and water (he doesn't like water from a bottle, only a bowl).

Back